Home Security Tips | Electrician Huntsville, AL
Securing Your Home for the Holidays
Every holiday season while families visit or attending holiday functions, criminals increasingly burglarize homes. These heartless Grinch’s steal more than the usual plunder, even taking gifts and toys from Santa. Home security tips that assist in deterring a burglary are discussed in the following, and how a Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can assist you in keeping your home safer and more secure.
Criminals are aware of the opportunity an unoccupied home presents. Homes that are remotely located are especially vulnerable. Thieves will monitor the sheriff’s patrol routine, who is home and when, and often call listed numbers to establish when family members are home, hanging up when it is answered.
Lighting provides one of the best measures for preventing theft. Set lights on a timer system, or utilize a remotely controlled system when away. Thieves who “case” an intended home will become aware of the occupants’ habits. If the lights come on and off throughout the home during the evening, it will appear that a family member remains inside. A Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can install the timer system that you require.
Non-solar landscaping lights should also be on an outdoor timer system to maintain the appearance of a usual routine. A Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can install the timer system that required for outdoor lighting. The following additional tips will assist in deterring thieves:
- Ask a neighbor to park in your drive providing the appearance of an occupant.
- Have calls forwarded to a cell phone.
- If you will be away for longer than a day, have mail, newspapers and other deliveries put on hold. If you expect a package delivery, ask a neighbor or friend to retrieve it.
- Don’t post your holiday travel plans on social media. Don’t post on the media until your return to prevent the system from stating you messaged from a distant location.
- Update locks, latches, and other hardware with quality products and long screws. Inspect window latches for weak points and consider installing sash pins for an added layer of protection. Sliding patio doors are especially vulnerable, place a bar in the track, and have a locking pin installed. The pin will hold the sliding door to the stationary door. This prevents a crow bar from simply lifting the sliding door off its tracks.
- Trim shrubs away from the home to avoid providing a hiding place for furtive thieves. Homeowners often plant yucca and cactus under windows to discourage thieves from using windows as an entry. Outdoor lighting, and especially motion sensor lighting will assist in deterring thieves. A Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can install outdoor lighting for you.
- When considering having an electrician in Huntsville, AL to install an alarm system, investigate all options and the numerous features available. An alarm provides a wise investment, and can provide up to a 20% discount on your homeowners insurance. Magnetic alarms provide a low cost alternative for vulnerable doors and windows. The cost averages $1 at 99 cent stores, or up to $5 at chain retailers.
- Never leave a key outside. A smart thief will find it.
- Ask a close friend or relative to house sit.
- Watch for suspicious vehicles and be aware of your neighborhood and who belongs there. Call the police for suspicious vehicles.
- Conventional door locks provide poor security. A quality brand of deadbolt lock provides the best option. Doors should have a peephole or window for viewing who is at the door. Don’t open it for strangers, talk to them through the door. If they ask to use your phone, offer to make the call for them.
An intercom system provides an option for potential thieves who claim they can’t hear you through the door. A Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can install it for you. A camera by the door provides an alternative and often has audio, an electrician in Huntsville can install a camera and its monitor.
Ultimately, thieves are seldom stupid, and can tell when it looks as if a home is unoccupied. Homeowners or renter’s insurance is a worthwhile investment. Maintain a written record of the contents, receipts and photos of the contents. A duplicate record in a relative’s home or in a safety deposit box isn’t a bad idea in the event of fire.
We hope you found these home security tips useful. A Mister Sparky licensed electrician in Huntsville, ALcan install the additional lighting and/or timers that you require to improve home security. Call to schedule service today, a Mister Sparky professional electrician in Huntsville, AL is ready to take your call. We serve the North Alabama region.