Flickering Lights | Electrical Repair Huntsville, AL
There are a number of reasons for flickering lights. The severity of the problem also varies from normal and expected to simple to correct to a serious issue that requires immediate attention from a safety viewpoint. In this blog we will discuss tips that will narrow it down, enabling you to provide a fix as simple as changing a faulty light bulb and knowing when to call an electrician for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
Very Fast Flicker of Lights
This type of flicker occurs so fast you barely notice it. The causes of the fast flicker are:
- A Loose light bulb – Turn the light off and check the bulb to ensure it is screwed on correctly.
- Faulty light bulb – The faulty bulb is a common occurrence and replacing the bulb should stop the flicker.
- Loose light socket – Sockets themselves can become loose in some cases. If the light is a lamp unplug it and see if it can be tightened. It is best to leave lighting that is connected to the homes wiring to an electrician for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
- Faulty Switch – Turn the light off and on, gently wiggle the switch to see if the flickering will stop. If wiggling the switch stops the flicker, or seems to cause it an electrician will need to replace the switch with electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
- Voltage Variability – If none of the previous appears to be the trouble voltage variability is likely to be occurring. This presents a fire hazard and can potentially be faulty wiring. This will require an electrician to identify the cause and provide electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
Flicker Followed by Full Illumination
This occurs when a light is first turned on. The light may briefly flicker before operating normally. There may be noise initially, which ends when the normal lighting occurs.
Potential causes for this flicker include:
- Faulty Switch – Turn the light off and on and joggle the switch. If the light will come on without flicker the switch may be bad, and will require replacement with electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
- This can be normal with fluorescent tubes or compact fluorescents. No repair is required as long as the flicker stops once full illumination is reached.
Intermittent flickers can occur with any type of lighting. It is characterized by an occasional flicker lacking any routine pattern. There can be several causes for an intermittent flicker. Make a note on a calendar when it occurs, and if it is occurring several times in a day there is a potentially serious problem.
Reasons for this type of flicker include:
- Faulty Bulb – Replace the bulb and note if the problem persists. Intermittent flickers are common with fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulbs when they begin to fail. If replacing the bulb doesn’t stop the flicker, have the issue checked by an electrician for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
- Voltage Variability – When replacing the bulb doesn’t correct the issue it can be due to voltage fluctuation which is a fire hazard. Contact your electrician rather risk a house fire.
Flicker on Start then Low Lighting Level
This problem begins with a flicker and lighting never reaches full illumination.
The causes of this issue include:
Failing CFL – This occurs in all fluorescent tubes, and compact fluorescents. Replace the bulb to see if it persists.
Poor Voltage – This could be a potentially dangerous wiring issue. Contact an electrician for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
Faulty Switch – A faulty switch may be limiting the amount of voltage. Contact your electrician in Huntsville, ALfor replacement.
Flicker to Low Light to Full Illumination
In this situation lighting goes from a flicker to low light levels eventually providing full lighting. This is common with fluorescent including compacts. Try changing the bulb. If the bulb in question is a compact fluorescent try an incandescent bulb. If lighting is normal the compact is at fault.
Remember, an electrician is the best person to diagnose electrical issues. Persons lacking any electrical knowledge should leave changing switches and wiring or wiring repairs to a licensed electrician due to the inherent dangers of electricity.
Flickering lights can be due to dangerous wiring issues that may result in an electrical fire such as overloaded wiring (and overheated), loosening splices, a damaged fixture, a faulty breaker switch, a damaged or loose electrical service and numerous other causes. If you detect the odor of burning plastic immediately turn off the electricity to that area of your home or office and contact an electrician for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL. If you aren’t certain which breaker controls the affected area, turn off the electrical Main. Burning wire indicates damaged wire and is a severe danger to your home and family.
Mister Sparky offers licensed electricians for professional electrical repair in Huntsville, AL. If you are experiencing flickering lights or other electrical issues schedule service with us today. Remember to use fire and smoke detectors in all bedrooms and other strategic locations in the home. Change the batteries bi-annually and test each detector once per month. Mister Sparky’s reliable and experienced electricians serve the North Alabama region providing commercial and home electrical repair.