Surge Protection Network | Electrical Contractors Huntsville, AL
If you are like numerous home and business owners, you provide power strip surge protection for sensitive electronic equipment. However, it requires more than power strips or even surge protective panels to safeguard electronic devices and your home from lightning strikes and power surges. For the most reliable protection, a whole house surge protection network is required. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL offer the installation of the protection you require for your home, office or industrial complex. In addition, our licensed electricians provide the industrial electrical, commercial electrical services, and the residential electrical service that you require.
A whole house network requires various types of surge protective devices installed to effectively protect sensitive electronic devices from destructive surges. A Type One device is installed at the power meter. A Type Two device is installed on the main service panel. Type three devices are plugged into electronic equipment in the home or office for point-of-use protection. The three together provide a triple layer of protection. Types One and Two require installation by a qualified electrician. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL offer the professional surge protector installation that you require.
Type One Surge Protective Devices are mounted on the power meter. A Type One device provides protection against surges caused by lightening or the utility company’s capacitor bank switching, and “occurrences”. An occurrence is a term used by the power producing industry for surges due to unexpected causes, such as those caused by wildlife, a fallen tree on a line or other causes of surge. They are most commonly installed in commercial, industrial and hospital buildings with a lightning protection system and are capable of discharging an extremely high lightening current.
Due to the high voltage entering the meter it is essential for installation to be provided by a professional. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL offer the professional installation of surge protectors.
Type Two Surge Protective Devices are mounted to the load side of an electric service panel and protect against residual lightening and other surges created within the home as in the cycling of HVAC systems, for example.
Type Three Surge Protective Devices are point-of-use power strip protection typically used with computers, televisions and other sensitive electronic equipment. These devices should provide the last line of defense against power surges, and not the only line of defense as is often the case.
- Whole-house systems should be rated to stop a 40,000-amp surge, at the minimum. Don’t let the term confuse you. Both Type One and Type Two are considered whole-house surge protectors. The preferred network will utilize all three types of surge protectors, and the minimal that a homeowner should buy is a Type Two, used in conjunction with quality Type Three devices. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can install Type’s One and Two for you.
- Select a model with features such as thermal fuses, and lights or alarms that indicate when the device has taken a hit.
- Ensure surge protectors are listed as UL Standard 1449, which means the product has been tested.
- Warranty details will vary from covering the device only, whereas others will cover the equipment connected to the surge protector. If you require, Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can assist you in the device selection your home or business requires.
- Separate whole-house devices are recommended for the phone and cable lines to protect the fax and answering machines, televisions, and modems, and may be smaller protectors.
- Due to the hazards of working with electricity, and the high voltage levels associated with Type One and Type Two surge protectors, their installation should be provided by a qualified licensed electrician. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL offer the professional installation required.
Whole-house surge protectors alone can’t stop all surges completely. This is the reason for Type Three devices, commonly called “surge strips”, or “point of use protectors”. Type Three devices come in a wide variety of ability and price. Type Three devices are available in three basic categories: the common multi-outlet power strip; the multitasking surge station; and the uninterruptible power supply (UPS), which manages random fluctuations, voltage spikes, and provides a battery backup in case the power dips or goes out entirely. The back-up power is short-term, but sufficient to allow for the proper shut down of sensitive equipment.
Power surges can be devastating to appliances, electronics and other electrical devices. In the U.S., power is in the form of alternating current, meaning the voltage rises and falls between 0 to a peak of 169 volts. When a power surge occurs, the voltage exceeds 160 volts.
When small surges occur repeatedly, over time damage can occur in electronics and appliances. Lightning strikes can easily overwhelm the best surge protector. The best means of protecting appliances and electronics during storms is to unplug your equipment, and utilize surge protection devices to help provide protection for those devices and equipment that can’t be unplugged. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL will be glad to assist you in providing the surge protection you need.
Our licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL provide the expertise to provide electrical wiring repair, electrical installation or other electrical services from Mister Sparky’s qualified electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL. We serve Huntsville, Guntersville, Decatur, Toney, Athens, New Market and the surrounding areas.