Home Security Tips | Electrical Contractors Huntsville, AL
Securing Your Home for Your Vacation
Every summer while families enjoy a vacation, thieves burglarize empty homes. The following home security tips can help to deter a burglar from taking what you have worked hard for. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can assist you in keeping your home safe and secure.
Criminals often observe the neighborhood for signs of an unoccupied home to rob. Homes that are remotely located are especially vulnerable, but being in a crowded subdivision is no guarantee. Thieves will monitor the patrol routine of police, the routine of a home’s occupants, and often calls listed numbers to establish when family members are home, and hanging up when it’s answered.
Lighting provides one of the best measures for preventing theft. Indoor lights on a timer system can give the appearance of someone being home. Observant thieves will become aware of the occupants’ habits. For example, if your living room light is on from 7 pm until 9 normally, use a timer to duplicate this. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can install the timer system that you require.
Hardwired landscaping lights should also be on an outdoor timer system to maintain the appearance of a usual routine. If they are already automatic you won’t need to do anything. But if on a switch that you typically cut off at 9 pm, they will need to be on a timer as well. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can install the timer system(s) that you need for outdoor lighting. The following additional tips can also assist in deterring thieves:
- Ask a neighbor to park in your drive providing the appearance of an occupant.
- If you know the police, ask them to drive by your home more frequently
- Forward calls to a cell phone.
- If you will be away for longer than a day, have mail, newspapers and other deliveries put on hold. If you expect a package delivery, ask a neighbor or friend to retrieve it.
- Don’t post your vacation plans on social media. In fact, don’t post on the media until your return, because the media will display the location you posted from.
- Update locks, latches, and other door and window hardware with first quality products and long screws. Inspect window latches for weak points and consider installing sash pins for an added layer of protection. Sliding patio doors are especially vulnerable, place a bar in the track, and have a locking pin installed. The pin will hold the sliding door to the stationary door. This prevents a thief from using a crow bar and simply lifting the sliding door off its tracks.
- Trim shrubs away from the home to avoid providing a hiding place for thieves. Homeowners often plant thorny roses, yucca, and cactus under windows to discourage thieves from using windows as an entry. Outdoor lighting, and especially motion sensor lighting will assist in deterring thieves. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can install outdoor lighting for you.
- An alarm system is a wise investment, and can provide up to a 20% discount on your homeowners insurance. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can install it for you. Magnetic alarms provide a low cost alternative for vulnerable doors and windows and are fairly effective in deterring thieves. They are as low as $1 each at the 99 cent stores when you can find them.
- Never leave a key outside, a smart thief will find it. Leave a key with a trusted neighbor, friend or relative and ask them to check on the house.
- Ask a close friend or relative to house sit while you are away. This is the best option, along with home security that can automatically notify the police of breaking and entry. Observant thieves will observe when the family’s usual comings and goings aren’t occurring.
- Arrange to have the grass cut while you are away for an extended time.
- Watch for strange and suspicious vehicles and be aware of your neighborhood and who belongs there. Call the police when suspicious vehicles are sighted.
- Install a first quality deadbolt lock for the best protection. Just so you know – doors should have a peephole or window for viewing who is at the door. Don’t open it for strangers, talk to them through the door. If they ask to use your phone, offer to make the call for them.
An intercom system provides an option for potential thieves who claim they can’t hear you through the door. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can install it for you. A camera by the door provides an alternative and often has audio, an electrician in Huntsville can provide the installation..
Ultimately, thieves are seldom stupid, and can tell when it looks as if a home is unoccupied. Homeowners or renter’s insurance is a worthwhile investment in the event you are burglarized. Maintain a written record of the contents, receipts and photos of the contents. A duplicate record in a relative’s home or in a safety deposit box isn’t a bad idea in the event of fire. With a number of insurance companies, if there isn’t a record, you don’t have a claim.
We hope you find these home security tips useful. Mister Sparky’s licensed electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can install the additional lighting, intercoms, cameras and/or timers that you require to improve your home security. Call to schedule service today, Mister Sparky’s professional electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL are ready to take your call. We serve the North Alabama region.