(photo courtesy of Pixabay, https://pixabay.com/p-315874)
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports in 2014, home fires caused 3,275 civilian fire deaths, and 15,775 civilian fire injuries in the United States involving 1,298,000 fires. Approximately 37% of these deaths occurred in homes either lacking a smoke detector, or lacking a working smoke detector. This clearly indicates the importance of having a working smoke detector installed in your home. Mister Sparky’s licensed electricians are the preferred electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL.
A smoke detector provides the best protection of your family when a home fire occurs. Cigarettes and cigars are a common cause of home fires.
During an electrical fire, a smoke alarm will be able to give you some warning before the fire becomes fully involved.
Smoke detectors can be integrated as a part of a home security system, and with the latest technology can be connected to a smart system thermostat, notifying you and the authorities of a house fire, whether you are at home or away.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the combustion of fossil fuels such as natural or propane gas. Carbon monoxide can quickly overcome unsuspecting victims, because it lacks any odor, taste, or color. Carbon monoxide detectors save lives, contact our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL today for professional installation.
Carbon monoxide is deadly because it replaces the oxygen within the red blood cells, starving your body of oxygen, and resulting in suffocation. Small amounts of carbon monoxide leaks may be the explanation behind the headache you only have when you are in your home, and that goes away when you leave. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation you need.
Persons who have been exposed to carbon monoxide experience a range of symptoms that may include:
• Blurred vision
• Chest pain
• Loss of consciousness
• Shortness of breath
A severe case of carbon monoxide poisoning can result in brain damage and death. Furthermore, children, the elderly, and those with respiratory or heart conditions are more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide. Do not risk it! Contact Mister Sparky’s licensed electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL today to schedule installation.
Possible Sources of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a natural by-product of many home appliances. You and your family are at risk if you use charcoal, wood, kerosene, propane, or natural gas in hot water heaters, grills, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, or room heaters, in your home. It is essential for these products to be installed by a licensed, gas certified professional, and to have carbon monoxide detectors installed by licensed electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL. A professional will provide a proper installation, keeping your family safe. Like smoke detectors, it is important to change your carbon monoxide detector batteries regularly. It will be convenient for you to change the batteries of both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors at the same time, every six months.
Locating Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Since sleeping persons are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, it is essential to place carbon monoxide detectors near the bedrooms. If you only have one, place it as close to the bedrooms as possible. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can assist you in determining the proper location of these life saving devices.
Ideally, carbon monoxide detectors should be placed throughout the home, as you do smoke alarms. You should place a carbon monoxide detector in each frequently used area of your home, such as the kitchen, the living/dining room, all bedrooms, and the office. If you live in a multi-story home, be sure to place at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level. If your home’s gas furnace is located in the basement, be sure to place a detector there, as well. It is advisable to locate a detector near all appliances using fossil fuels, including wood heaters and fireplaces.
In addition, before starting your car, open the garage door to allow carbon monoxide to escape. The fumes can enter cracks and crevices of the home, endangering family members. Furthermore, a gas stove is not vented to the outside; always use the vent hood when cooking on a gas stove to prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide in the kitchen.
If carbon monoxide poisoning has occurred in your home, it is critical to have a professional locate and repair the source of the gas before you return. Call Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL to schedule the installation of carbon monoxide or smoke detectors. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL are licensed, bonded and insured, with a commitment to a superior level of service and your satisfaction. We stand behind the work our skilled, experienced and licensed professional electricians provide. We strive to exceed your expectations and serve the North Alabama area. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.