As winter approaches it is once more time to discuss the importance of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home. While almost everyone recognizes that smoke alarms save lives, the unfortunate fact is that smoke alarms are present in less than 75% of U.S. homes. In past fires, of those homes with smoke detectors approximately 53% are functional. The overwhelming cause of smoke detectors failure to operate are power supply issues, with those hardwired into the home electrical system being more likely to operate when needed, than those relying on batteries. Don’t take risks with your family and home this winter contact Mister Sparky’s licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL for installation.
Furthermore, homes lacking a functional detector reported a death rate twice as high as those with functional detectors did. The lowest death rates were in homes with hardwired detectors, and those with functional detectors where deaths occurred were more likely to be home to the elderly, the disabled, or those who tried to fight the fire themselves. The evidence clearly supports the lifesaving ability of ensuring a working smoke detector hardwired into your home’s electrical system. Mister Sparky’s licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL are available to take your call for installation.
Smoke detectors can be integrated into home security systems, and notify the authorities of a house fire.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
As a by-product of the process of the combustion of fossil fuels, such as natural or propane gas, wood burning stoves and fireplaces, carbon monoxide is a potentially deadly gas. Carbon monoxide lacks any odor, taste, or color, and is detectable only by carbon monoxide detectors. Contact our electricians in Huntsville, AL today for the professional installation of these potentially lifesaving devices.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen carried by the red blood cells, starving your body of oxygen. Exposure to carbon monoxide can result in a wide range of symptoms that may include some of the following:
• Blurred vision
• Chest pain
• Headaches (experiencing a headache only in your home may be due to a carbon monoxide leak)
• Loss of conscious
• Shortness of breath
Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in death, even when a victim is rescued before death occurs, severe and permanent brain damage may be present. Children, the elderly, and those with lung or heart disease are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. Contact Mister Sparky’s licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL for the installation of carbon monoxide detectors.
Carbon monoxide is a natural by-product of many home appliances such as water heaters, heating systems, gas stoves, wood burning heaters, and fireplaces. If your home contains any of these appliances, it is essential to have carbon monoxide detectors installed by licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL. Like smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors will only work if the batteries are fresh, or when hardwired into the home. As previously stated with smoke detectors, reliability is greater with hardwiring into the home’s electrical system.
Proper Location of Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Sleeping persons are especially vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning. Because of this, it is important to locate carbon monoxide detectors near bedrooms. Ideally, carbon monoxide detectors should be placed throughout the home, as you do smoke alarms. Mister Sparky’s electricians in Huntsville, AL can assist you in determining the proper locations.
If you live in a multi-story home, be sure to place at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level including the basement when gas furnaces or water heaters are located there. In addition, it is advisable to locate a detector near all fossil fuel burning appliances, and to always use the vent fan when operating a gas stove, which is not vented to the outside of the home.
In addition, open the garage door before starting to prevent the buildup of deadly gas in the garage. The deadly gases can enter cracks and crevices of the home, endangering family members inside.
Don’t risk your family’s safety, install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors today. If you provide battery operated models, change the batteries every 6 months at the minimum. Mister Sparky’s electricians in Huntsville, AL have the expertise to provide the professional installation of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Furthermore, our electricians are licensed, bonded and insured, with a commitment to a superior service and your satisfaction. We offer a wide range of electrical services for residential and commercial applications. We serve the North Alabama area, and provide 24/7 emergency services. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.