Properly installed and maintained smoke alarms save lives and reduce injuries. If there is a fire in your home, you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out. A properly functioning smoke alarm reduces your chances of dying in a fire by half. The statistics show that almost two-thirds of residential fire deaths resulted in homes lacking smoke alarms or with nonfunctional smoke alarms. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation or smoke alarm replacement that you need to ensure your family’s safety.
Smoke Alarm Fire Safety
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on each level of your home.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
- Ensure all family members know to get outside and stay outside when a smoke alarm sounds.
- Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years
- Replace batteries every 6 months
- Do not remove or disable a smoke alarm. When a kitchen smoke alarm frequently causes false alarms, don’t disable it – relocate it further away from the kitchen. An alternative is to select a photoelectric smoke alarm for the areas near kitchens and bathroom steam that may reduce the number of false alarms experienced.
- A “chirping” alarm signals a low battery. In addition, consider the installation of an electrical smoke alarm hardwired into your home’s wiring. The alarm will operate on the electricity of your home’s electrical system, rather than a battery. Mister Sparky’s licensed electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation for you.
- Never block windows and doors, smoke can quickly overcome a victim who may not have time – or be able to move furniture, storage boxes, etc…
- Have an escape plan, and ensure all family members are fully aware of it.
Plan for Escape
Fire can spread swiftly through your home, leaving you and other family members as little as one minute to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Walk through your home, and inspect for all possible exits and escape routes. Inspect each window and ensure you can open and get out of them. If you find windows, or window locks that are difficult to open or painted shut, provide immediate repair or replacement.
Security bars over windows or doors should have quick-release devices, which are located inside, allowing you to open them in the event of a fire. Furthermore, in homes with children, provide a fire drill twice a year to ensure the children know how to react to a smoke alarm and fire.
- If your home is experiencing flickering lights, frequently tripped circuit breaker, or a burning plastic or copper smell, contact Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL.
- Extension cords are for temporary use only, and may overload electrical outlets. So don’t run electrical cords under carpet or rugs, as the wires may be damaged by foot traffic, and overheat igniting the carpet.
- Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCI’s) reduce the risk of electrical shock and require installation by a licensed electrician in the kitchen, baths, and outdoors. Contact our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL today to schedule your electrical installation or electrical repair.
- Forgotten cooking is a leading cause of kitchen fires. Remain in the kitchen when cooking. Keep cooking surfaces clean and place anything that can burn well away from the range. Heat oil slowly and use a lid on pans if a fire occurs.
Contact our experienced electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL today, to schedule the installation of smoke alarms, or other electrical services. Mister Sparky’s electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL are licensed, bonded and insured, with a commitment to provide a premium level of electrical services, and superior customer service. You can rely on our electricians’ high level of expertise in the electrical industry. Our dedicated electricians serve the North Alabama area. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.