Mister Sparky’s electricians in Huntsville, AL want you to know there’s no need to spend a great deal of money to have a positive impact on the environment. The following energy saving tips can provide assistance with the goal of reducing your home’s carbon footprint, and saves money on the cost of energy.
Going green has become a way of life, if for no other reason than cutting energy costs. Often, both can be achieved without spending a dime. The following energy saving tips from Mister Sparky’s licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL can assist in reducing your energy use, without spending any money:
- Raise the air conditioning thermostat by at least 2 degrees, and save 1 to 2% on energy for each degree the thermostat is raised above 72 degrees F. Use a ceiling fan, if available on the summer setting in occupied rooms. The recommendation is to set the temperature to 78 degrees, and use a ceiling fan. Use other fans if a ceiling fan isn’t available. To save even more, turn the thermostat up to 85 when away from home, and change the filter each month.
- Take shorter showers, reducing your time in the shower each day until you reach 5 minutes. During the summer, reduce the amount of hot water used for showering. In fact, a number of people prefer it after trying it a while.
- Wash and rinse clothing in cold water, and line dry clothing or use a drying rack. Dry full loads only, and clean the lint trap after each load.
- Use the dishwasher for full loads only, and turn off the drying cycle. Use the energy saving function when available.
- Ensure the water heater is set at 120 degrees F.
- Don’t leave lights, televisions, fans or other appliances on when not in use. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide motion sensor lighting technology.
Other tips to save at modest cost include:
- Purchase a solar charger for cell phones, tablets, and laptops.
- Use white insulated drapes, blinds, or UV reflecting window film on sunny windows, and patio doors to reduce heat gain in the home.
- Check the home’s attic insulation. If the ceiling rafters are visible, insulation needs to be added.
- Seal gaps and cracks where hot air can enter, and cold air escapes. Use weather stripping around doors.
- Plant the trees on the southern end of your property. Select deciduous trees that shed their leaves in the winter. They provide shade during the summer, and allow sunlight in during the winter.
- When the time comes to reroof a home or business, consider white, or light colored metal roofing. The cost is slightly higher than shingles, although it lasts 50-60 years or longer with minimum care. White reflects the suns UV rays best, and lowers indoor temperatures by as much as 20 degrees, saving you money on the cost of air conditioning, and consequently reduce wear and tear on the HVAC unit. In addition, it is recyclable, and can provide LEED credit for businesses, and potentially tax credit for homeowner’s and businesses alike.
- Gable fans are an additional means of reducing attic temperature, and lowering the heat gain in the home below. Contact our electricians in Huntsville, AL today to schedule the service.
You can be energy conscientious and save money too with these energy saving tips. Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for expert electrical installation or repair. Our licensed electricians offer experience and industry expertise for your electrical needs. We serve the North Alabama region, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.