Tripped circuit breakers may occur due to causes such as power surges and lightning. However, they can also occur due to overloading of the circuit. For example, if you have a 15 Amp circuit breaker and use too many small appliances on the same circuit at the same time drawing 20 Amps or more, you will have a tripped circuit breaker. A circuit breaker is designed to prevent overheating of the circuit. When an excessive electrical load occurs, the circuit breaker trips, cutting off the electrical current to the affected circuit. Mister Sparky’s electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical repair services required to correct the conditions causing tripped circuit breakers.
For the times when a tripped breaker is due to a surge, for example, resetting the breaker is easy:
- Turn off all electrical appliances, or equipment hooked up to the affected circuit to avoid the potential for a surge and equipment damage.
- Go to the home’s electrical service panel, and locate the tripped circuit breaker. The affected breaker will not be fully in the “On” position, and will be in the “Off” position or somewhere in between the two. If the service panel is new, it may have breakers that show red beside the handle when a breaker trips.
- To reset the circuit breaker, firmly push the switch all the way down to the “Off” position, and then back up to the “On” position. You should hear a click as the switch snaps into the “On” position.
If the breaker trips immediately after resetting it, this indicates a failed breaker or a direct short. Do not try to reset the breakers, contact an electrician for electrical repair services.
Common causes of tripped breakers include:
- Under-sized breaker or wire
- Defective breaker
- Overloaded circuit
- Loose breaker
- Loose electrical connection
- Weak capacitor
- A short in the affected appliance
- Damaged wiring
When electricity reaches your home, it is distributed through the electrical panel to a number of circuits throughout the home. Throughout the years, the technology has evolved to provide a safe electrical system for your home or business. A modern electrical panel ensures the home’s protection. Older homes still using fuse boxes should consider replacement. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide your older home with the up-to-date electrical system it requires.
Electrical installation and repair is not a project for the average homeowner due to the dangers involved in working with electricity. In fact, your local and state codes may require the use of a licensed electrician. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL have the expertise to take care of your electrical needs and ensure all work performed meets or exceeds the industry code and requirements. Contact Mister Sparky today to schedule electrical repair services, replacement, or installation.
Mister Sparky provides professional electrical services by licensed electricians. Our electricians’ commitment to quality services and attention to detail ensures you receive the finest services available by our electricians in Huntsville, AL. Contact Mister Sparky today to schedule electrical repair services for your tripped circuit breakers, or other electrical services. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating, and serves the North Alabama region.