For those who are tired of the continual rise in the cost of living, the following tips can assist you in saving on the electric bill. With a little awareness, and a bit of diligence, you can bring the electric bill down. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical installation and repair you need. The following energy saving tips can assist you in recognizing ways to cut the cost:
Common Causes of a High Electric Bill
- Inefficient lighting with an overhead lightfixture is a common waste of energy. Use smaller lamps only in the area you need them. LED light bulbs have the highest efficiency and the longest lifespan. Purchase name brand, and if you can’t afford to replace them all at once, begin with the largest consumers – outdoor post lights, and gradually replace bulbs indoors beginning with those used frequently. When possible, take advantage of natural lighting. Contact our electricians in Huntsville, AL for the electrical installation you need.
- Only operate the washing machine and dishwasher when you have a full load. The appliances use just as much energy for a partial load as they do a full load.
Furthermore, you may be able to turn the dryer temperature down. Many families have found drying clothing on low can dry clothes in the same amount of time as high. The degree of effectiveness will depend on the performance of your dryer. Finally, wash clothes in cold water and save even more.
- If the water heater is housed in an unheated basement, insulating the appliance can save you money. However, newer water heaters that are already insulated from the factory can’t be placed in a water heater blanket. As the second largest consumer of energy in the home, switching to a gas tankless water heater can save qualifying households up to 35% on the cost of hot water. Non qualifying households (those with large hot water consumption) can save as much as 50% with the installation of multiple tankless units.
- Change the air filter in the HVAC system monthly, or as required. A dirty air filter not only reduces the system efficiency, it also reduces the lifespan and increases repairs. Annual maintenance by an HVAC professional will greatly extend the lifespan, while maintaining efficiency.
Installing a programmable thermostat will assist to ensure the maximum savings on heating and cooling when programmed to automatically adjust the temperature overnight and when the home is not occupied.
Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
- Ensure electronics and appliances don’t pull phantom energy by turning off electric strips or unplugging appliances. Place appliances and electronics on a power strip so you can turn them off. While it may not seem like much, over the course of a year it really adds up.
- Upgrading older appliances and HVAC systems can save money on energy. HVAC systems are the number one energy user in the home. Upgrading to ENERGY STAR rated systems can save significantly on the cost of energy. Talk to your HVAC contractor about your energy efficient choices.
Furthermore, don’t forget to inspect your home’s ductwork. Broken seals, gaps and loose joints can account for an average of 30% of your heating and air conditioning costs. A special metal type of tape is required for sealing joints. Metal ducts that consistently separate should be screwed together with sheet metal screws and sealed.
- Electronic devices such as cell phones, tablets and MP3 players require frequent charging. You can purchase solar chargers and locate where they receive ample sunlight to charge them up, or unplug them when charging is complete. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can install a charging station in your home, eliminating the clutter of multiple charging devices cluttering up your home.
- Seal gaps and cracks in the home’s foundation, walls, around windows, and replacing weather stripping on doors. Check the attic insulation, if you can see ceiling joists the insulation is inadequate. Upgrade windows with a quality window film, which can be the equivalent of adding another layer of glass.
- Outdoors LED post lights will save money, and motion lights will also cut down on electrical consumption. Our licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide a professional installation for you.
- Ceiling fans can improve your comfort in the coming winter months by ensuring warm air, is circulated down to keep you warmer. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide ceiling fan installation for you.
These energy saving tips provided by Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can assist you in making wise choices about your electrical usage. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL have the expertise to provide reliable electrical services for your home or business. We serve the North Alabama region with quality services. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.