If your home lacks a bathroom exhaust fan, you’re already aware of how a steamy shower results in excess moisture in the room. The buildup of moisture can result in unsightly, an potentially hazardous mold and mildew. Without a functioning bathroom fan to ventilate the space and pull the moisture out, excessive humidity results in moisture on surfaces, and in the cracks and crevices. In addition, over time, excessive moisture can cause not only mold and mildew, but also rot and other damage. Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for bathroom exhaust fan installation, replacement, or other electrical services.
Choosing a Fan
There are a variety of exhaust fans to choose from whether you’re installing one for the first time or replacing an existing one. Furthermore, modern exhaust fans offer more than just the exhaust operation, the additional features you can select from include:
- Lighting has been a feature for some time and is available in a variety of styles.
- A fan with a light and heater avoids the need for taking up floor space with an unattractive space heater during winter baths and showers.
- A combination fan, light, heater and night light bundles the previous options and adds a soft night light, freeing up an outlet for other uses while providing a safe light to guide you during the night.
- The proper size fan for your bathroom is essential. Generally, the fan should be capable of moving 1 cubic foot per minute (cfm) of air for every square foot of bathroom space. A large bathroom may require multiple exhaust fans.
- Select a fan that operates quietly, and you’ll be more likely to use it. Exhaust fans are assigned a noise level. Select a fan with a noise level of 1 sone or less for a comfortable sound level.
- Energy Star qualified exhaust fans use less energy than standard fans, and can assist you to save on energy costs.
Have questions when selecting a bathroom exhaust fan? Our electricians in Huntsville, AL will be glad to help.
Proper use of the fan is necessary to ensure moisture is removed from the bathroom. You can ensure the best performance with the following tips:
- Allow the fan to run for 20 minutes after a bath or showering.
- For those who like to shower, dress and run out the door, consider installing a fan with a timer for automatic shutdown. Mister Sparky licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation for you.
Installing the Device
For reliable, trouble free results, hire a qualified electrician for installation. An improper installation can cause the following issues:
- It is essential for the bathroom exhaust fan to exhaust to the outdoors. Otherwise, when the fans are improperly exhausted in the attic, for example, the moisture is simply redistributed to another space, where it can cause problems such as pest infestation, mold, mildew and wood rot. The fan should vent directly into the duct and discharged outdoors.
- An undersized fan is unable to efficiently dispose of excess moisture.
- Improper installation of the duct reduces performance and may increase noise. This includes the failure to insulate the duct, which reduces potential transference of condensation to areas the duct passes through.
Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for the installation, or replacement of a bathroom exhaust fan. Our licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL are available to provide the professional electrical services that you require, and offer 24 hour emergency electrical service for your convenience. Our electricians provide professional expertise for reliable service you can trust. We serve the North Alabama region. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.