When to Call for Emergency Service
When electrical issues occur in your home, many homeowners are unsure of whether to call a handyman or electrician. First, it is essential to emphasize that electrical issues are nothing to downplay. As of February 2016, according to the US Fire Administration, there were an average of 374,000 home fires each year. Cooking was the number one cause of fires at 56%, followed by heating at 16%, and electrical malfunctions came in at third as causing 9% of all house fires. It is essential to contact an electrician when electrical problems occur. Only a licensed electrician should provide electrical repair in Huntsville, AL. Mister Sparky offers licensed emergency electricians for your convenience 24/7.
The highest number of electrical fires understandably occur in the months of December and January, and are related to heating appliances and lighting. The top causes were related to the following:
- As a general rule, never use any appliance with a worn or frayed cord, They can ignite flooring, rugs, curtains and upholstery.
- Running cords under rugs is a cause of fires.
- Removal of the grounding plug to enable an appliance or other item to fit into outdated two-pronged outlets are causes of house fires.
- Using light bulbs with higher wattage than the light fixture is rated for can cause fires. You should never exceed the recommended wattage in light fixtures, lamps or any other lighting.
- Placing cloth or paper over a lampshade to reduce the light level is a common cause of electrical fires.
- Faulty fixtures and lamps are frequently indicated in house fires. Always look for safety testing and approval, such as UL listing.
- Remember, extension cords are for temporary use only, and never for permanent use. Contact a Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL for the installation of additional outlets in your home.
- If you have no choice but to use space heaters, use the radiator type. They’re less likely to ignite combustible surfaces than other electric heaters, but should be kept a safe distance from combustible surfaces.
- Outdated wiring is any wiring that is 20 years old or older. During that time, electrical surges and lightning may have caused damage to wiring that you are unaware of. An electrical inspection should be considered every two decades to ensure the safe condition, and the adequate capacity for your home. Over time, as the number of appliances and electronics grow, the home’s wiring capacity may reach an insufficient mark for your household needs. A Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical upgrade you need to ensure your home’s safety, and your enjoyment of uninterrupted use. In addition, you can count on our licensed electricians to provide reliable electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
When to Call an Emergency Electrician
When you have an electrical problem that feel is threatening, call our licensed electricians for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL. Your safety is of the utmost importance, so it’s best to contact a Mister Sparky electrician during an electrical emergency.
The following situations are when you definitely need to call a professional electrician to provide electrical repair in Huntsville, AL:
- If you’ve been experiencing an issue for longer than an hour, it’s a good idea to call an electrician for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL. Whether or not the issue is an actual emergency depends on the cause of the problem, but it’s better to be safe.
- Loud buzzing or humming from a breaker can indicate a faulty breaker that is failing to trip, or has poor wiring. This is an extremely dangerous situation and presents your home to electrical failure or even a fire, so get it taken care of immediately.
- Numerous problems can cause a loss of power.. To determine whether or not you need an electrician, first check on your neighbors. If others are having the same problem you probably don’t need an electrician. Check with your power company for problems nearby that can affect your home’s power. If the issue is only in your home, contact an electrician for diagnosis and electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
- The acrid smell of burning wire indicates a serious problem. Smells of burnt plastic or hot copper often mean there are damaged wires in your home, and can very quickly become an electrical fire! If it’s safe to access your electrical panel, shut off power to the area where the smell is coming from, and call Mister Sparky right away for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL .
- Signs of burnt wiring or overloaded outlets include black or brown marks on or around around outlets. It is a sign of overloading and indicates they are overheating. You’ll need the services of a professional electrician to provide electrical wiring repair.
Contact Mister Sparky emergency electricians when you need emergency electrical services. We will respond promptly to your need for electrical repair in Huntsville, AL. You can rely on our electricians to provide expertise for your electrical needs. Mister Sparky serves the North Alabama region, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.