While spring is a few months away yet, the unseasonably warm weather last week has Alabamians out enjoying it. Before you know it spring will arrive and the outdoor activities will begin. If you are considering some upgrades to your outdoor space, remember to provide lighting for your family and guests. Lighting improves outdoor safety, and can enhance your outdoors gatherings by providing an appealing and welcoming retreat. When you are ready to begin with the installation of landscape lighting, contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL.
You probably already have some ideas in mind for outdoor lighting. For example, you may intend to provide an outdoor dining area, perhaps even and outdoor kitchen area. But have you fully considered lighting for the space? You will need good task lighting for food prep and cooking areas. However, consider softer, ambient lighting for the dining area. In addition, carefully considered the placement of fixtures in dining and other seating areas. Careful placement ensures your family and guests’ comfort without direct light shining in their eyes.
Furthermore, pathways need lighting that effectively illuminates the path. Overlapping it prevents dark areas that may result in falls. Decks also need lighting, so guests can see to move around without tripping. Lighting is especially essential for the steps and stairs to avoid falls. Recessed lighting is attractive and safest, but ensure the wattage is enough to illuminate but not blind guests as they climb stairs. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can assist you in your decisions.
Pathway lighting is available in solar or electric lighting. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical installation for you. Electric lighting will provide the best quality of light, and selecting energy efficient lighting will add little to the electric bill.
Take Advantage of the View
If your home has a beautiful garden, exquisite shrubs and trees, highlighting them with up lights enhancing their effect. Select a few of the most beautiful or dramatic and use lighting to draw attention to them. In addition, if your home has a unique architectural design, highlight it. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the services and assistance you need.
Layer the Effects
Use layering to add depth to the landscape with lights along pathways, wall washing on the home or up lights on a few shrubs or trees next to the home. Lighting adds dramatic visual effect to the landscaping after dark. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical services you require.
Types of Lighting
Ambient lighting creates atmosphere and mood by softly lighting an area.
Spotlighting draws attention to a specific feature. It can be focused or broad in the area it covers. Spotlighting can be used to draw attention to an architectural feature, a special tree or other features you want to stand out. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the lighting installation you need.
Down lighting directs light downward, usually from a tree, creating a diffuse light.
Up lighting creates drama with light and shadow. Lighting is directed upward into a tree, on an architectural feature or is used on plants or other features.
Cross lighting eliminates shadows by directing a light from both sides, making it a good choice for individual plants and a tree canopy.
Security lighting includes an automatic motion sensor that turns them on when the sensor is triggered. Security lighting assists in discouraging prowlers, and provides extra lighting when you move around outside. A well lit home with both security and other lighting discourages prowlers who prefer a dark area to move in undetected. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation of security lighting for you.
If you are just beginning to plan your outdoor upgrades, you may be wondering where you should have lighting installed. Landscape lighting helps to improve the beauty, function, safety and security of your home. Areas that are commonly fitted with landscape lighting include:
- Lighting for pathways are essential both for safety and for beauty. However, homeowners often make the mistake of too many path lights closely together. If stagger path lighting fixtures them left to right and use only enough to slightly overlap the pools of light. Furthermore, you can mix path lighting with ambient lighting in planting beds that are along the path for a more diffuse, natural appearance.
- Other areas where lighting is helpful include over doors, along driveways and over garage entrances. View your property carefully for areas a prowler could conceal themselves in, and plan lighting and/or trimming of shrubs if necessary.
- Patios and decks are where we spend time with family and friends. Use diffuse down lighting when possible to avoid blinding your guests. The location of lights on deck railing should also be carefully considered. Locate where seated guests won’t be blinded.
- Illuminating trees provide beauty and drama to the lawn when you use up lighting or cross lighting. You can also use down lighting in tree branches to highlight garden beds, patios, pathways and other areas. This is especially effective in a tree beside a lake or other waterway.
- Water features add a beautiful focal point when illuminated. Any lighting used near or in water is required to be for underwater use. An effective installation will provide lighting without the sight of the fixtures ruining the natural effect.
- Unique architectural features of your home offer the opportunity to provide to showcase them after dark. Plan lighting for stacked stone features, columns, and other features that define your home.
- Light the landscape near your driveway for a welcoming entry.
Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the lighting, wiring and outlet installation you need for your outdoor projects. In addition, we offer a broad range of electrical services for residential and commercial applications.
Mister Sparky licensed electricians provide the expertise to take care of your outdoor lighting needs. Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL today to schedule the electrical services you require. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating, and serve the North Alabama region.