Those who are used to an exhaust fan already know their value. Unfortunately, not every home features the fan, leaving homeowner’s to resort to a window for ventilation. However, how many homeowner’s are willing to open a window during cold weather? Not many without a doubt, but turning on a bathroom exhaust fan is a simple and effective means for bathroom ventilation. Without ventilation, moisture accumulates in the bathroom, and can cause unhealthy and unsightly mold mildew and wood rot. An exhaust fan removes the moisture that showering and baths can cause, as well as removing odors. If you need an exhaust fan installed, replacement or repair, contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL today.
The bathroom exhaust fan serves a number of functions, including:
- Bathroom odor control is a feature everyone can appreciate.
- Bathroom moisture control is essential. Showers and hot baths create moisture that can literally cling to the walls and fog mirrors. Bathrooms are naturally higher in moisture without a steaming shower, and an exhaust fan ensures the level is controlled, providing protection for the surfaces that otherwise would be wet with every shower.
- Mold and mildew are the result of excessive moisture, staining surfaces and aggravating or even initiating symptoms for those with allergies and/or asthma.
An exhaust fan removes the moisture from the bathroom and speeds drying, therefore assisting in preventing mold and mildew.
- Protects wood from rot, paint from damage and other building materials from the effects of excessive moisture. Moisture can cause paint to peel, and staining to occur. Moisture can even penetrate the walls, causing damage to the wood structure of the home, damage to the insulation and mold or mildew inside the walls.
Proper installation of an exhaust fan is essential. For example, the bathroom exhaust fan is required to vent to the outside of the home, and not into an attic space. When routed into an attic the moisture can rot the attic structure, and increases the chance of pests infesting your attic and home. For this reason, a proper installation is required to ventilate to the outdoors. In addition, it is also essential for the fan to be properly sized for the bathroom space, otherwise your moisture problems will continue. In bathrooms lacking an exhaust fan, not only will you require a duct extending outside of the home, but the electrical wiring supplying the fan and the switch for its operation. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical services you require for bathroom exhaust fan installation.
Selecting an Exhaust Fan
There are a wide variety of exhaust fans to choose from for a first time installation or a replacement. You can also find different features are available from a simple fan that exhausts only, to those which provide lighting, heat and different noise levels. Highlights of some of the available features include:
- Lighting is available for a number of exhaust fans, and yours can be wired by our electricians in Huntsville, AL to operate on its own switch, or together with other bathroom lighting. In addition, you can select a fan with a nightlight providing a safer environment for night use.
- Bathroom exhaust fans are also available that provide heating, eliminating the need for using a space heater. It is also available featuring both light and heat for your convenience.
- Furthermore, you can have all of these features in a combination fan, including a night light feature. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation you need.
- The correct size of a fan in your bathroom is essential for the proper removal of moisture, and is based on the bathroom size. The general recommendation is for a fan capable of moving 1 cubic foot per minute (cfm) of air for every square foot of bathroom space. When a bathroom is large, you may require more than one exhaust fan in the space. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can install the fan or multiple fans you require.
- Select a fan that operates as quietly as possible and you will be more comfortable using it. After all, if you have gone to the trouble and expense of a relaxing bathroom, you don’t want your efforts undermined by a noisy exhaust fan! Exhaust fans are assigned a noise level. Check the package and choose one with a noise level of 1 sone or less for a quieter fan.
How to Use an Exhaust fan
Knowing how to use an exhaust fan helps to ensure moisture is adequately removed. Always allow the fan to continue running for 20 minutes after showering. People often shower, dress and leave for work or school. If this sounds like your morning routine, consider a fan with a timer for automatic shutdown. Our licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation of the fan of your choice.
Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for a professional installation or replacement of a bathroom exhaust fan. Our licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL are available to provide reliable electrical services backed by our exclusive guarantee. In addition, our electricians offer 24 hour emergency electrical service for your convenience and peace of mind. You can rely on the professional expertise that our electricians provide for service you can trust. We serve the North Alabama region. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.