Each year, children receive treatment in hospitals for shock and burns related to small children placing common objects in electrical outlets. Fortunately, Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide you with a solution to keep your little ones safe in your home. Tamper resistant receptacles, or TRR’s are childproof outlets designed to prevent small children from inserting objects into outlets. A Mister Sparky electrician offers installation and other electrical services from the nation’s top electrical repair company.
Supervising your children remains the preferred means of keeping them safe. However, it isn’t possible for parents to watch them every single second, and that is all it takes for a child to be injured. Childproof outlets are a parent’s best friend, providing one more item in the childproof check mark list, and one less thing for you to worry about.
Electrical outlets are a genuine danger wherever young children are present. Tamper resistant outlets provide a safe, low cost, and permanent solution for preventing young children from tampering with wall outlets. Our licensed, professional electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation for you. Give Mister Sparky’s electrical repair company a call today to schedule the service.
How it Works
In appearance, childproof outlets are similar to standard outlets. The spring-loaded receptacle cover plates close off the receptacle openings until a plug is inserted with equal pressure applied to both sides simultaneously. At this point, the cover plates open, allowing a standard plug to be inserted.
As with standard outlets, childproof outlets should only be installed by a licensed, qualified electrician.
Additional electrical safety tips for parents of small children include:
- Always replace damaged or frayed electrical cords.
- Secure excess cord on electrical products with a zip tie to prevent injury. Never allow your child to chew on electrical cords. Furthermore, storing the excess length of cords is simple with cord sleeves and holders. Some devices offer the ability to secure them to the wall, preventing children from pulling the items down on them.
- Locate the television, home theater and stereo equipment against the wall to prevent small children from entering the area behind the appliance. When this isn’t possible, a Mister Sparky electrician can organize and contain the many wires typically surrounding the television and home theater equipment into sleeves fastened to the wall. This ensures children can’t access wiring and keeps the area neat and organized.
- Before using holiday lights and electrical items, provide a careful inspection for broken or frayed wiring and broken bulbs. In addition, bind excess cords and unplug them when not in use.
- Routinely provide an inspection of battery operated toys for damage and check to ensure all screws are tight, preventing children from accessing the batteries.
- Select flame retardant sleepwear for your children.
- Use a sturdy screen in front of fireplaces, electric baseboard heaters and wood-burning stoves.
- Don’t leave charging cords plugged in without the device attached, such as a cell phone or tablet charger. Small children are likely to chew on the cord. The electricians with Alabama’s top electrical repair company can provide you with a charging station, maintaining a neat, organized location for charging.
- Don’t sit drinks near TVs, computers, game consoles, heaters or other electrical products.
- Limit the number of products you plug in an outlet. An overloaded circuit presents the risk of a fire occurring. Furthermore, if you require extension cords, you need additional outlets. Contact Mister Sparky for an electrical repair company you can trust for reliable electrical installation and repair.
- When a bulb needs to be replaced, never leave a lamp socket empty,. Either replace the bulb, or leave the burned out bulb in the socket until you can change it.
- Electrical outlet snear a wet area, such as in the bathroom, beside the sink, or outdoors, should be a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet. GFCIs protect you with a built-in circuit breaker. If a problem occurs, the fuse is tripped and the electricity is shut off to the outlet. Contact the dedicated electricians with our electrical repair company for installation.
- Be cautious about the use of a nightlight in a child’s room. It should never be within reach of your child. Nightlights aren’t only a shock hazard, they are also a fire when located near the bed, curtains or other flammable objects. If you need an outlet installed out of reach of small hands, contact an electrician with Mister Sparky for an electrical repair company that provides on time service and your satisfaction guaranteed.
Mister Sparky is an electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL, offering full electrical services by experienced, licensed electricians. If you need childproof outlets installed in your home, our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the professional electrical installation you need. Mister Sparky serves Huntsville, Decatur, Guntersville and the surrounding areas, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.