Rats and mice are a part of the rodent family and continually chew to keep their teeth worn down. If they did not, their teeth, which continues to grow would become unmanageable, affecting their ability to eat. There are a number of reasons to rid your home of rodents, such as they carry a number of diseases, and they will chew on almost anything, including your home’s electrical wiring, resulting in damage and even the risk of fire. If your home’s wiring has damage, contact a Mister Sparky electrician for electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL.
The Dangers of Damage
Your home’s electrical wiring is covered in plastic insulation to prevent fire and shock. Unfortunately, rodents can bite or chew through the insulation causing damage. The exposed wire can potentially ignite combustible material, such as the wood framing of your home adjacent to the exposed wire. Furthermore, when rodents chew through wiring, tripped breakers, and damage to electrical circuits can also occur. When your home’s wiring is damaged by rodents, electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL will be required.
Rats and mice can squeeze through an opening as small as a quarter of an inch wide. Routine pest control and using the following tips around the home is the best means of preventing a rodent problem.
- Routinely check the attic, basement, cabinets, drawers, storage boxes, and along baseboards for signs of a rodent infestation. Signs include droppings, nests, or chewed packages. Tip: Use plastic containers for storage.
- Seal cracks, holes, gaps and other potential entries in the home, including those around cable, plumbing, and pipe entries with steel wool and expanding foam. However, hot flues will require high temperature tolerant sealant for your safety. Inspect the weather stripping around doors, and replace if necessary.
- Cover roof ventilation pipes with approved wire mesh. This will prevent insect as well as rodent entering by this route to the home. In addition, keep trees and shrubs trimmed at least 2 feet from the home.
- Clean up crumbs and do not leave food out. Food will attract rodents and encourage them to live in your home. Tip: Use tightly sealed plastic food storage containers in the cabinets and pantry for non-perishables such as cereal and rice.
- Keep the lid on trash cans both indoors and outside tightly closed, indoors and outdoors.
- When the lights are flickering, check the bulbs ensuring they are firmly screwed on, and intact. If the lights continue to flicker after tightening bulbs, contact a Mister Sparky licensed electrician to schedule electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL.
- Frequently blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers can indicate a serious electrical problem. A breaker that turns off when you push it back on, should be left off, and an electrician contacted to provide prompt electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL. This indicates a serious problem and requires the prompt attention of an electrician.
- Outlets with discolored, sooty marks or melting, warm wall outlets, or sparks from the outlet. These are signs of a serious electrical issue, and a high risk of fire. Do not use the outlet or switch, and contact an electrician to provide electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL. In addition, turn off the breaker supplying the affected circuit.
- The odor of melting plastic may indicate serious wiring issues, and can also occur in appliances. Unplug the affected appliance or turn off the circuit breaker for the affected area, and contact Mister Sparky electricians to provide electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL.
How the Environmental Movement is Feeding Rodents
The public demand for environmentally friendly products has led to the creation of soy and grain based wiring. Originally installed in automobiles, it is now available in residential, commercial and industrial wiring. If you have recently purchased a home with this wiring, pest control will be especially important.
Experts believe as much as 25% of house fires may be due to damaged wire from chewing rodents. All homes should have functional smoke detectors that are tested monthly.
Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL are just a phone call away. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL are available 24/7 for your electrical emergency. You can rely on us to provide expertise, and reliable electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL that meet and/or exceed the industry standards. If you are experiencing electrical problems or need installation, give us a call today. Mister Sparky licensed electricians serve the North Alabama region, providing commercial and residential electrical services. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.