Tips for Home Security
With spring break and summer vacation in the near future, now is a good time to consider your home’s security. There are a number of methods you can use to deter prowlers from your home. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can assist you in making your home safer and more secure from prowlers, vandals and home invasions.
Proper lighting is placed at strategic locations, such as vulnerable entrances and windows. In addition, when home security cameras are part of your security, proper lighting is required for identifying guests and prowlers. Our licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide a professional installation of security lighting for you.
When criminals ride through your neighborhood, they are not only identifying potential targets, they are typically looking for an unoccupied home. There are a number of factors on their mental check list. Homes that are located in secluded areas are vulnerable. In addition, those that provide the owner’s privacy from peering eyes, also offer the same privacy for thieves. Thick vegetation that obscures the ability of others to see in, are ideal for hiding the sight of a truck loading up your belongings.
Furthermore, thieves may monitor police patrol and security personnel. They will take note of who is at home and when, and often call listed numbers to establish who is home and when. If you are receiving routine hang up calls, you may be a target.
In addition to your home’s security system, providing the right type of lighting is one of the best deterrents of theft. Modern technology is on your side. Take advantage of a timer system for lights, a television or even a radio. In addition, lighting can be controlled remotely with a wireless setup in your home. Thieves familiarize themselves with the occupants’ habits. If the lights come on and off throughout the home during the evening, it provides the appearance that a family member is home. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can install a timer system for your home.
Hardwired outdoor lighting should also maintain the usual routine. Do not shut them off while you are away. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can install a timer for your home’s outdoor lighting.
Use the following tips to help deter prowlers from your home:
- Ask a neighbor to park in your drive providing the appearance of someone being home. This may not deter prowlers who are monitoring your home, but it will assist in deterring those who are opportunists.
- Subscribe to call forwarding and have calls forwarded to a cell phone.
- Arrange for mail and newspapers to be put on hold. If you expect a package delivery while you are away, ask a relative, neighbor or friend to retrieve it. Insist on a tracking number so you can monitor for its imminent delivery and give the person who will pick it up a call.
- Don’t post your plans on social media, including photos until you return. In fact, do not post on social media period, to prevent the system from showing the location you post from.
- If your locks and latches are standard hardware, consider upgrading with quality products and install them with two inch screws to improve their security. In addition, inspect window latches and replace any that are broken, and consider installing sash pins for additional protection. Sliding patio doors are especially vulnerable, prowlers will use a tire iron to lift the movable section up and off the track. Place a bar in the track, and have a locking pin installed that locks the movable section to the stationary one. The pin prevents the door from being lifted off its tracks.
- Maintain short, neatly trimmed shrubs to avoid providing a hiding place for prowlers. Yucca plants and cactus under windows will absolutely discourage prowlers from trying to get into a window.
- Outdoor lighting and motion sensor lighting deters all but the most determined thieves. A well lit home discourages most prowlers, as it means neighbors can see and potentially identify them. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide security lighting installation for you.
- An alarm system is advisable, and is recognized by most insurance companies with a 20% discount on the homeowners insurance policy. If the budget does not allow for a sophisticated alarm system, install magnetic alarms to windows and doors. They are priced from $1 to $5 each.
- Never leave a key outside, as a smart thief will find it.
- Be aware of your neighborhood and those who live there if possible, and what they drive. Call the police for suspicious vehicles.
- Doors should have a peephole or window for viewing visitors. Never open it for strangers, talk to them through the door, or install an intercom system. If they ask to use your phone, offer to make the call for them. A camera by the door provides an alternative to the peepholes.
- The ideal solution is to ask a close friend or relative to house sit while you are away.
When you choose to upgrade the electrical components of security, Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation for you.
Mister Sparky licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL can install the lighting and/or timers that you require for improving your home security. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL provide the expertise that meets and/or exceeds the industry standards. We serve the North Alabama region. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.