Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are important safety devices in your home. Unfortunately, even though they are known to save lives, not all homes have these alarms. In most fire related deaths, either smoke detectors were not present, or they were not functional. Smoke detectors that are wired into the home’s electrical system are more likely to operate when needed, than those relying on a battery. Don’t allow your family to be at risk, contact Mister Sparky electricians today to schedule installation. Mister Sparky is an electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL recognized for providing reliable, licensed electricians and first quality service for homes and businesses alike.
A smoke detector provides the best protection of your family when a home fire occurs. Whole house protection can be provided by integrating compatible smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. In addition, interconnected alarms are available, and when one unit alarms all others will alarm, ensuring all occupants of your home are alerted. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide a licensed electrician for the professional installation of integrated smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
The Chirping Smoke Detector
One of the top causes of a nonfunctional smoke alarm is a lack of a functional battery. Far too often, a smoke alarm that continues to chirp ends up with the battery removed, resulting in the loss of your family’s protection in the event of a fire. The detectors are designed to chirp every minute or so when the battery is low, warning you it is time to replace the battery. If replacing the battery doesn’t solve the problem, replace the smoke alarm. In addition, it is recommended that smoke alarms are replaced every ten years to ensure reliable operation. Remember, smoke detectors can also be permanently wired into the home’s electrical system for more reliable operation. Contact Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL for installation.
The causes of a house fire vary, but the following are some of the most common:
- The majority of house fires is caused due to cooking. Some of these are related to forgotten meals, while others are due to appliance malfunctions. Do not use an appliance with a frayed, damaged or worn plug.
- Fire can also be due to damaged, outdated, worn or poorly installed wiring, loose connections, faulty fixtures, and overloaded outlets and circuits. Contact Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL for superior electrical service.
- Faulty appliances cause both shock and house fires, have them repaired or replaced before disaster strikes.
- Never smoke in bed.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide is a by-product of the combustion of fossil fuels, such as natural or propane gas, and wood burning stoves. It is a potentially deadly gas lacking any odor, taste, or color, and can only be detected by carbon monoxide detectors. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation for you.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas. It deprives the body of life preserving oxygen by replacing the oxygen carried by the red blood cells. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be any of the following :
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain
- Mental confusion
- Complaints of dizziness
- Headache, especially if it disappears when you leave the home
- Loss of conscious
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Difficulty breathing
Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in death, or severe and permanent brain damage if the victim is rescued early enough to survive. Don’t place your family at risk, contact Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL for carbon monoxide detector installation.
Proper Location of Carbon Monoxide Detectors
It’s important to properly locate carbon monoxide detectors where they will be most effective in alerting you and your family of a carbon monoxide leak. Those who are asleep when a leak occurs are the most vulnerable, and typically never wake up. For this reason, one of the recommended locations is near bedrooms, and one on each floor. An electrician from Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can assist you in selecting the proper location. In addition, it is advisable to place one in the basement when a gas furnace or water heater is located there. In addition, use the hood vent fan when operating a gas stove. A gas stove is not vented outdoors as a furnace or water heater is. The vent hood is the only means of exhausting the carbon monoxide it produces when in use.
Furthermore, if your home has an enclosed garage, open the door before starting a vehicle to allow the carbon monoxide to escape. Otherwise, the gas can enter your home’s interior through cracks and gaps endangering your family in the home.
Don’t risk your family’s safety, install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If you use battery operated models, change the batteries every 6 months and test them monthly along with the smoke alarms. Our electricians can provide the installation or replacement of models wired into your home’s electrical system. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL are dedicated to providing superior service and to your satisfaction. We offer a broad range of residential and commercial electrical services for your convenience. We serve the North Alabama region and provide emergency services. 24 hours a day, and 7 days a week. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.