If you have had damage to occur in your home or business due to lightning or electrical surges, consider the installation of a surge protection network. The surge strips almost everyone uses for their sensitive computers and television are not a network, although they are one the components in it. They are not capable of providing full protection of the device. Furthermore they do not offer any protection at all for your home’s electrical panel, the wiring or the outlet it is plugged in to. Only a full surge protection network can offer the protection of all your home. If you are considering the best protection for your home against high voltage from lightning and power surges, contact Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL.
A surge protection network provides the best protection available for your entire home. However, due to the high voltage in the areas of installation, only a licensed electrician should provide installation. Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the professional installation of the network, with the expertise you can rely on for quality and performance.
A whole house network requires three levels of protection to effectively guard your appliances, wiring and sensitive electronic devices from destructive surges. The triple protection includes the following:
- Type One device is installed in the power meter. A qualified, licensed electrician is necessary for installation. A Type One device provides protection against the voltage from lightening and the surges originating from the utility company and the problems that occur on power lines such as animals and tree limbs grounding the power line. They are typically installed in commercial, industrial and hospital buildings commonly with a lightning protection system. The device is capable of discharging the voltage from lightning. Contact our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL for the installation.
- Type Two devices are installed in the home’s main service panel. A qualified, licensed electrician is necessary for installation. This device protects against residual voltage from lightening and other surges. Surges typically occur from inside the home. For example, the cycling on and off of the heating and air conditioning system creates surges. While this is normal, sensitive devices receive damage over time from the cycling. A surge protection network can help your electronics, appliances and other electrical devices to last longer. Give us a call, our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL will ensure a quality installation.
- Type three devices are surge protection power strips commonly used for computers and televisions. They provide point-of-use protection, but are inadequate as a stand alone device.
Whole-house surge protectors are not always able to completely stop the incoming voltage when the amounts are high. When the residual voltage makes it through, type three devices provide the last line of defense. Type three devices offer a wide range of capacity and price in three categories. Always buy the best your budget allows. The three types include:
- The common multi-outlet power strip
- Multitasking surge station
- An uninterrupted power supply (UPS) manages fluctuations, voltage spikes, and provides a battery backup ideal for providing a proper shutdown of a computer, for example. They are extremely helpful in preventing lost data in offices.
About the Surge Protection Network
- Choose a surge protection network with the capacity to stop a minimum of a 40,000-amp surge. Furthermore, you should be aware that both type one and type two devices are considered whole-house surge protectors. However, a surge protection network requires and will contain all three surge protection devices in order to provide the highest degree of protection. Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the professional installation required.
- Select a device with the benefit of thermal fuses, and a warning feature informing you when the device has been hit with a surge.
- Only consider a device with a UL Standard 1449 listing, which indicates the product has been tested. Our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the assistance you need in the selection of reliable type one and two devices.
- The warranty on some devices cover the equipment connected to the surge protector. Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the assistance you need in the selection process.
- Do not forget, installing type one and type two device involve working with high voltage. Never try to install them yourself. Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL have the expertise to provide the installation safely, with reliable results.
Lightning and large surges can result in not only damage to the electrical system, appliances and devices, fire is also a potential threat. Check with your insurance company, some insurers offers a discount when a surge protection network is installed. The network offers the best protection available for your home, business and your peace of mind.
Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL offer the experience and expertise required for the installation of a surge protection network, and other electrical services. Mister Sparky serves the North Alabama region. In addition, we offer emergency electrical services 24/7 for your convenience. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.