When you are planning the childproofing of your home, you soon realize the danger is everywhere. From pulling objects such as televisions and cooking pots onto them, to electrical hazards, when you study your home with an astute eye for danger, you realize there is more than you initially thought. Electrical hazards are a common cause of injury in small children. Most injuries are related to children placing small objects in electrical outlets. Fortunately, childproof outlets will protect curious children. Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for the installation of these outlets in your home.
Childproof outlets, also called tamper resistant receptacles (TRR’s), appear similar to your standard wall outlets. The outlets are designed with spring-loaded cover plates that close off the receptacle slots until a plug is properly inserted. Insertion requires simultaneous pressure from the prongs of an appliance to open.
Childproof outlets are installed in the same manner as standard outlets, and use the same National Electrical Code (NEC) guidelines. Electrical outlets should only be installed by licensed, qualified electricians in Huntsville, AL.
Electrical outlets are a lingering danger in every room of your home whenever young children are present. However, tamper resistant receptacles’ (TRR) are a safe, affordable, and permanent solution to help prevent injury of small children tampering with wall outlets. When you call to schedule service, Mister Sparky licensed electricians will provide the installation you need to protect your children from the risk electrical outlets present in our home.
Unfortunately, outlets are not the only electrical itemassociated with the risk of shock. Others include:
Power strips are common in numerous home’s, especially in the area serving the television and its accessories, such as home theater, game systems, and others. Power strips also pose a danger for infants and small children. Fortunately, a power strip cover is available that slides over the strip and has a cutout to allow cords to exit the cover. Since cords are different sizes, use duct tape to tie the cords together, preventing your child from unplugging any appliance by tugging on the cords.
If you use extension cords for more than occasional use, you need outlet installation. Extension cords pose the risk of overloading the electrical circuit serving the outlet it is plugged into. Furthermore, damage may occur to wiring, or even a house fire. That said, extension cords are a hazard that can end up in your teething baby’s mouth. Not only are some foreign made extension cords manufactured with lead in the outer insulation, they can deliver a shock to your baby that may be fatal when chewed on. In addition, babies may tug on them, pulling whatever is attached to it down on them. In addition, they are a trip hazard to infants and adults in some circumstances. The installation of additional outlets are the best solution. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide installation of outlets and additional electrical circuits for you. However, if you are unable to install outlets at this time there are solutions available:
Extended length cords
There is a lot of danger from long cords. As with blind pull cords they place baby at risk of strangulation, and of pulling items off on them. The solution is simple, wind up the extra length and secure it with a zip tie. Cut off the excess length of the zip tie to prevent baby from receiving cuts.
Other solutions include:
Duct tape can secure extension cords to the floor when there is no other choice. However, if your floor is carpet use masking tape and secure it to the baseboards. Even better are housings designed to secure cords inside a cover and fastened to the baseboard or floor. These are also available in larger sizes and useful for cleaning up the mass of cords behind the TV. There are a number of solutions, but the best option is to replace standard outlets with childproof outlets. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical services you require.
More Tips for Electrical Safety
- Replace any appliances, extension cord and other electrical equipment with cracked, frayed, or damaged cords.
- Bind up excess cord on lamps or other electrical items with a zip tie to prevent injury. Use sleeves, holders and other devices that prevent access to electrical cords, hide them, and/or secure them out of reach. The need for lamps can be eliminated with directional recessed lighting, track lighting and other solutions. Contact our electricians in Huntsville, AL to schedule installation.
- Place televisions and other equipment as close to the wall as possible, so young children are unable to reach the area behind them. Furthermore, it is wise to tether televisions to a 2×4 in the wall to prevent them from falling on children. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can organize and secure the mass of wires typically surrounding TVs, keeping cords out of a child’s reach.
- Choose flame retardant sleepwear.
- Never leave an appliance or its charger plugged in, such as a camera or a cell phone charger. Small children can chew the cord in their mouths. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation of a central charging station for you. When not in use, they can be closed and out of sight.
- Limit the number of appliances plugged into a receptacle to prevent overloading a circuit. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation of additional outlets that you need.
- Never remove a bulb and leave the socket empty in a lamp. Replace the light bulb bulb, or leave the old one in the socket until you do.
- GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets are required near all water sources, such as next to sinks or outdoors. GFCI outlets have a built-in circuit breaker that will shut off the flow of electricity to the outlet should a problem occur.
- Never use a nightlight within reach of your child. Shock may occur and it can result in a fire if located near the bed or curtains.
Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL offer full electrical services for all your electrical installations, replacement or repair needs. If you would like childproof outlets installed in your home, our licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL will provide the professional installation you need. Our electricians have the expertise to meet and/or exceed the industry standards for service you can rely on. Mister Sparky licensed electricians serve Huntsville, Decatur, Guntersville, Toney and the surrounding areas.