As your summer vacation approaches, start now to ensure your home is secure. With the number of burglaries and home invasions continuing to rise, many homeowners are considering ways to increase the safety of their homes, and installing home security systems. Having a security system in place will provide you with peace of mind, and it may lower the cost of your homeowners insurance. Mister Sparky licensed electricians can provide the electrical services you need for a hard wired home security system. Contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL today.
The amount of a discount is typically from 5% to 20% with a system that automatically dials 911. Security systems can be wired or wireless. The problem with battery operated systems is the need to change the batteries, and with some systems, specialized batteries must be provided by the system monitoring service and can be costly. Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical services you require for a home security system. There are several types to consider, and including the following:
- Internet and/or WIFI Home Security Camera Systems provide you with remote viewing, enabling you to monitor your home while you are away with a computer, tablet, or smart phone. Some systems have the ability to notify you and/or the authorities when a breach occurs in the perimeter.
- A local alarm is a burglar alarm that sounds off with a bell, siren/and or a strobe light, outside your home. Combinations are available with a smoke alarm. Local alarms will not notify the authorities, and therefore will not provide an insurance discount.
- Monitored services provide the monitoring of your home 24/7. When activated by an intruder, they notify the authorities, and most security monitoring companies will contact you before notifying the police. Some home security systems can be integrated with the home’s HVAC thermostat for remote adjustments, and security cameras for remote viewing with a computer, tablet or smart phone.
Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical services you require for installing a home security system.
Additional Tips to Increase Security
Criminals often watch a home they plan to rob for some time. Watch for suspicious vehicles, and report them to police if they appear to be watching. They are aware an unoccupied home is often easier to enter, and a security system deters the majority of criminals. Additional security measures can also add to your home’s protection, deterring would-be burglars. Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical services you require, in order to beef up your home security.
Lighting provides extra protection against theft, both indoors and out. Lighting should be on a timer system, or use a remotely controlled system when you are away. If the lights come on and off throughout the home during the evening, it will appear the house is occupied. Contact an electrician with Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL to schedule installation.
The following additional tips will assist in deterring thieves:
- The best protection against burglary is to arrange for a friend or relative to house sit while you are away.
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway.
- Have calls forwarded to a cell phone or a relative’s phone.
- Place mail and newspapers on hold. If you expect a package delivery, ask someone to retrieve it.
- Never post your vacation plans on social media. In addition, do not post messages until you return, to prevent the system from showing you messaged from a distant location.
- Upgrade door and window locks and latches, and use 2 inch screws for installation. Consider installing sash pins to windows for extra protection. Sliding patio doors are extremely easy to bypass. Place a bar in the track, and have a locking pin installed, securing the sliding door to the stationary door. The sliding glass door pin prevents a burglar from using a crow bar to lift the sliding door off its tracks. Ensure all doors have a quality brand dead bolt lock.
- Trim vegetation at least 2 ft. away from the exterior walls to eliminate hiding places. Prickly plants, such as yucca make window entry uninviting. Outdoor lighting, and especially motion sensor lighting deters thieves, who typically do not want to be seen or identified. Contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for electrical installations.
- If your home lacks a home security system, purchase inexpensive magnetic alarms for vulnerable doors and windows.
- Never leave a key outside. But when you are away do leave a key with a trusted neighbor or relative.
- Watch for suspicious vehicles and be aware of your neighborhood and who belongs there.
- All doors should have a peephole, and an intercom is a great addition. Never open the door to strangers. Talk to them through the door/intercom, and if they need to make a call offer to make it for them. A camera by the door is an alternative to a peep hole. Contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for installation.
A Mister Sparky licensed electrician can provide the electrical services you require. Mister Sparky is a respected electric repair company in Huntsville, AL recognized nationwide for quality services you can rely on. We serves the North Alabama region, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.