Electrical Panel Upgrades
Over time, the demand for electricity increases with a growing number of electrical devices in the home. The electrical panel is the center of your home’s electrical system, from which all circuits exit and are protected by a breaker. When the demand exceeds the panel’s ability to supply electricity, one or more circuit breakers will “trip”, stopping the supply of electricity to the affected circuit. The circuit breaker is doing its job when it shuts off the flow of electricity on an overloaded circuit. Without the breaker shutting off the flow of electricity, the electrical wiring would overheat, and can potentially start a house fire. If you are experiencing thrown breakers, flickering lights, visible damage to outlets and switches, or other electrical issues, contact Mister Sparky for electric repair service in Huntsville, AL.
A number of older homes still have “fuse boxes.” If this type of panel is in your home, it is time for an electrical panel upgrade. Fuse boxes are outdated and can be considered a fire hazard. Furthermore, when the electrical panel has not been upgraded, it is likely the home’s wiring has not been upgraded. Mister Sparky licensed electricians can inspect the electrical system in your home and provide you with the upgrades and/or the electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL that you need to ensure your safety. Contact a Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL today.
Signs of Electrical Panel Problems
While other problems can cause the same signs, such as a short in a wire, signs of an electrical panel issue include flickering lights and tripped breakers. A faulty circuit breaker can also fail to trip, resulting in a fire, or melted wiring. These are serious issues that should receive immediate repair by a licensed electrician. A Mister Sparky electrician can provide the electric repair service in Huntsville, AL that you require.
Other Causes of a Tripped Circuit Breaker
The circuit breaker protects the electrical circuits from damage due to an overload or short circuit. If either occurs the circuit breaker shuts down the electrical circuit in what is commonly called a “tripped breaker.” A short circuit will require an electrican to provide electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL.
When the demand for electricity on a circuit exceeds what the wire was designed to handle, the circuit breaker will turn off the flow of electricity to the circuit. Overloading circuits can cause damage to outlets, and the home’s wiring. It is worth noting a breaker can go bad, resulting in repeat tripping of the breaker. Our electricians can provide the electric repair service in Huntsville, AL that you require.
When you plan an addition to your home, consider upgrading the electrical panel. You will be required to hire an electrician for the electrical service the addition requires anyway. The electrician can advise you as to whether the electrical panel has the space to add new circuits, or if a new electrical panel will be required.
Reducing the Load on the Electrical Panel
Saving electrical energy not only saves you money, it reduces the load on your home’s electrical system. In some situations, you may require the installation of a new electrical circuit for the appliances that use a lot of electricity. However, if your kitchen circuit trips when you use more than two small appliances on a circuit, that is a sign the appliances are overloading the circuit. You can move one of the appliances to a different outlet on a different circuit. Otherwise, you need a new circuit run in your kitchen. Our electricians can provide electric repair service in Huntsville, AL for you.
Use the following tips to reduce the electrical load on circuits and your electrical panel:
- LED light bulbs will cost a little more to purchase, but they will save you money on energy, last longer, and reduce the electrical load for lighting.
- Avoid using multiple appliances on a circuit that trips when you do, until you can have an electrician add a circuit. Continuing to use an overloaded circuit can result in damage and the need for electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL.
- Invest in Energy Star appliances. You will save energy and reduce the load on the electrical circuit, while saving money on energy.
- Install a programmable thermostat and reduce energy consumption. The heating and air conditioning system have its own dedicated circuit and breakers, but saving money is easy with a programmable thermostat.
- Continuous use of extension cords indicates the need for more outlets; care must be taken not to overload a circuit. When the breaker serving the outlet frequently trips, it is likely being overloaded. A Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can provide the outlet installation and additional circuits that you need.
When you need a new electrical panel, contact Mister Sparky to schedule installation. Our licensed electricians offer a wide range of electrical services, including electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL. You can count on Mister Sparky to provide professional expertise that meets and/or exceeds the industry standards. Mister Sparky serves the North Alabama region, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.