Benefits of a Standby Generators
The majority of homeowners having a generator typically purchase portable generators with a limited ability to supply power. Typically, a portable generator provides an outlet for two to four items, and some offer a 220 v outlet. They are available in a number of abilities, but none can provide the convenience or the benefits of a standby generator. The citizens of Alabama are no stranger to power outages, tornadoes, wind damage, thunderstorms, the inland effects of hurricanes and the occasional ice storm have all interrupted the power supply at one time or another. A standby generator can make all the difference between when the power fails. Contact Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL to schedule an installation.
Powering the Essentials
We have come to rely on a steady supply of electricity, and it’s an essential for safety and health. How often have you turned a light switch on when the power is out? There is no doubt we rely on it, but it also provides an essential service that helps to keep us healthy. Contact our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL for additional information.
We count on electricity to power the following systems in our lives:
- Basements that are prone to flooding require a sump pump. When you consider that most flooding issues are related to storms, which can knock the power out, or ground water near the surface, you can’t afford to have the pump go down. A flooded basement can present electrical hazards, and damage to furnishings and appliance located in the basement. Furthermore, a flooded basement will cause mold quickly, endangering the health of household members, and can cause severe damage to the foundation. A standby generator can keep the essentials powered, or even power the entire home. Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide the reliable home generator installation you need.
- A standby generator can keep the refrigerator and freezer running as if the power were still on. Keeping food cold or frozen is an essential for your safety. When refrigerator temperatures exceed 40 degrees F, bacteria begin to develop spoiling your food, and placing you and your family at risk of food poisoning. The experts advice freezers are safe for 12 hours after an outage, but it isn’t uncommon to find food beginning to thaw before then, especially in hot weather.
- Home security systems typically have a battery backup, but the battery is only good for a specified amount of time. Once the battery dies, your home is left without the protection of the security system.
- When a family member relies on electricity to power life sustaining medical equipment, a power outage can turn deadly. A standby generator offers a long term solution, and greater reliability. Contact Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL to schedule an installation.
- A standby generator ensures your home’s heat during the winter. Even gas furnaces require electricity to operate the blower fan. In addition, modern gas water heaters require electricity, to operate the digital controls.
- In addition, during high summer temperatures, a power outage can result in dire consequences for those whose health is unable to tolerate the heat. A standby generator ensures their safety, and Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide a professional installation for you.
- Standby generators are available in an automatic model that starts itself ten seconds after power is lost, and a manual mode that requires you to manually start it. The automatic standby generator offers the peace of mind in knowing all systems are secure if you are away from home when a power outage occurs.
- A continuous power supply provides access to the television and internet; ensuring you can stay up-to-date with radar and developing weather conditions, especially during tornado season.
- Cooking may be difficult during extended outages, and consistently eating out may not be possible after storm damage has occurred. Furthermore, it’s inconvenient and costly when you must rely on eating out for every meal.
How it Works
Standby generators are available in models using natural or propane gas. The generator is connected to an automatic transfer switch, and to the home’s main electrical panel. With the incoming voltage constantly monitored for loss, the generator activates automatically, shutting down the utility line and opening the generator supply through the transfer switch. Once the power is restored by the utility company, the transfer switch reverts incoming power to the utility line, and shuts down the generator. Only a qualified, licensed electrician should provide generator installation, our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL have the experience and expertise required for a professional job.
New Home Builds
If you are building a new home, home generator installation and labor will be easier during the construction. Installation while the home is being built, facilitates wiring the home for a standby generator. Furthermore, by choosing to set up your home for the generator now, you can factor the cost into your mortgage. Even if you decide to provide installation later, setting the home up by pre-wiring it for a standby generator makes installation simple, and it will be ready when you are. Contact our electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL to schedule installation in your new home.
Ensuring Power for Your Home
A standby generator keeps you and your family comfortable, safe and secure with continuous power, regardless of the outside weather. In addition, it ensures your home is safe and secure even when you aren’t there. The freezer and refrigerator continue their job of protecting your food, and the sump pump can maintain a dry basement without relying on a battery backup. Inside your home, life continues as usual, regardless of the conditions outside. Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL can provide installation for you.
Contact Mister Sparky to schedule standby generator installation. You can rely on Mister Sparky electrical contractors in Huntsville, AL for electrical installation, service and electrical repair you can rely on, and that meets and/or exceeds the industry standards. We serve the North Alabama region. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.