Organize Your Electrical Panel
If you have ever attempted to turn off an electrical circuit breaker in an unlabeled panel, this tip is for you. Labeling the electrical panel can save time when you have an electrical problem or the need to shut off electricity to a circuit. Proper labeling is not only convenient, it is essential in the event of an electrical emergency. With labeling, one breaker after another. When you contact Mister Sparky for new panel installation or replacement, we will label it for you. Give Mister Sparky licensed electricians a call to schedule electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL. The following electrical tips will ensure your electrical panel is properly labeled for future convenience and safety:
- You will need a helper to assist you. Have them flip the switches in each area, and to check outlets and appliances for power as you flip the breakers. They will need to carry a small electrical tester or a night light to check empty outlets.
- Use blank stick-on labels for each circuit breaker. Use a permanent fine point marker to label them, when the power is out it will be easier to read than standard ink.
- Begin by turning off all circuits in the electrical panel. Turn a breaker on, and label it when your helper says there is power on the circuit in the specific room. They should check both lights and outlets. In the kitchen and laundry room, they will need to check the appliances. Label the appropriate sticker for the breaker, and include what it supplies power to.
- Dryers, electric furnaces, central AC and heat pumps, water heaters and electric ranges often require multiple breakers due to the high amount of voltage required to operate.
- If the label is not sufficient space, an alternative is to number the circuits on the label. Identify what each number represents on a sheet of paper and tape it to the exterior panel door.
When labeling your electrical panel, take the time to inspect for problems such as melted wiring or visible damage to breakers. Black scorch marks can serious issues. If you notice these or other problems contact Mister Sparky for electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL.
Before family, friends and neighbors begin to arrive for summer parties and celebrations, take the time to inspect outdoor outlets, lighting and other electrically supplied items for broken outlets, signs of charring or other issues. You may require electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL, or outdoor outlet upgrades to ensure the safety of your family and guests.
If your home’s outdoor outlets are not ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI’s), contact a Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL for installation. GFCI outlets will automatically turn off the power when a problem occurs on the circuit, preventing shock and/or electrocution. Ensure your outdoor outlets have a weatherproof cover, preferably a “weatherproof while in use cover.” Time will take its toll on outdoor outlets, contact Mister Sparky for electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL.
Furthermore, if you are running extension cords across the deck or other locations, consider having our electricians install more outlets for you. Extension cords snaking around the deck can be potential for injury, and may lead to an overloaded circuit. Overloaded circuits can cause wiring damage and the need for electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL. If you are unable to avoid using an extension cord, use only those rated for outdoor use. It is also wise to keep it out of walkways or areas where children will be playing.
You may love the hanging lantern you just purchased, but never ignore the warning label that says “not for outdoor use.” In addition, do not leave electrical appliances plugged up outdoors when not in use, and never use plug-in products such as a radio within 5 ft. of a pool.
Schedule an electrical inspection of pools and spas by a licensed electrician who can ensure the safety of the appliances before they are used. Damage from rodents, pets, weather and time can cause a dangerous short in outdoor electrical service. Contact Mister Sparky to schedule an inspection of electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL. Once you are assured your backyard is safe for summer entertaining, you plan your outdoor celebrations with confidence.
A Mister Sparky electrician in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation, replacement and electrical repair services in Huntsville, AL that you need, indoors or out. You can rely on the expertise of our licensed electricians to meet, and/or exceed the industry standards for service you can trust. Thanks for reading our electrical tips. We serve the North Alabama region and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.