This summer, you can stay comfortable while enhancing your decor, and save energy by installing a ceiling fan in your home. While a ceiling fan won’t actually reduce the room temperature, they evaporate the moisture on your skin, which cools you down. As a result, you are able to raise the thermostat temperature by a few degrees, saving you money on the cost of energy. Ceiling fans also circulate cool, conditioned air enhancing your comfort. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide ceiling fan installation, electrical repair and other electrical installation for your home or business.
Outdoor Ceiling Fans
Ceiling fans are also available for outdoor use. Popular for porches, covered patios and outdoor structures where people cook and dine, they can enhance your outdoor enjoyment and comfort. Let outdoor ceiling fans improve your family and guests outdoor experience during barbecues and entertaining by scheduling professional installation today.
How to Use It
A ceiling fan can help you to be comfortable year round. A small switch on the side of the fan motor adjusts the blade direction. During the summer, the blades should turn counter-clockwise, which will direct the air downward. In the winter months, blades should turn clockwise, bringing the warm air that rises to your ceiling, down to increase your comfort.
A UL rated electrical box designed for mounting ceiling fans is required. When replacing a light fixture with a ceiling fan, it is important to realize that a standard electrical box for lighting is not designed to hold a heavy ceiling fan, and when used creates the danger of falling. The ceiling fan and box require proper mounting to a ceiling joist. A ceiling fan bracket is used for mounting ceiling fans in between two ceiling joists if the location will fall in between two joists. In addition, the ceiling fan requires wiring that should only be provided by a licensed electrician. Have a ceiling fan and need a light kit added or replaced? Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can also provide this service for you.
Tips to consider include:
- Leave at least 18 inches of clearance for all sides of the fan blades.
- Ceiling fan size ranges from 24 to 84 inches wide. Choose the largest size possible for installation, while maintaining the required clearance. A large fan on low speed will move more air than a smaller fan on high speed. In addition, select a fan with a large blade pitch in order to maximize air movement. As a general rule, choose a 52 to 60 inch-diameter for a 250-300 square ft. room, and a 62-84 inch fan for rooms larger than 300 sq. ft. Multiple fans may be required for large spaces. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the assistance you need.
- Generally, mount the fan in the center of a square room. However, in large rectangular rooms, two or more fans may be required. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation you need.
- If your ceiling height is less than 8 feet, a flush mount ceiling fan may be an option. However, a minimum of 8-10 inches between the ceiling and the fan is required.
- When choosing a light kit, ensure there is headroom for tall persons to pass underneath the light without striking their head.
Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL to schedule ceiling fan installation. The consequences of an improperly mounted ceiling fan are that it may fall, resulting in potentially serious injury to any person underneath it. Don’t risk your safety, trust your ceiling fan installation to Mister Sparky professional electricians. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL adhere and/or exceed the industry standards, ensuring professional results, along with both your safety, and peace of mind.
The maintenance you should provide for a ceiling fan is simply dusting or vacuuming it, cleaning the globes, and ensuring the blade and globe screws are secure. Over time fan vibration can loosen the screws resulting in a broken globe. In addition, dust and lint can block the ventilation of the ceiling fan motor, resulting in overheating. Maintaining ventilation of the fan motor is essential for ensuring many years of service and your safety.
Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL to schedule a ceiling fan installation, or other electric repair services. Our licensed electricians serve the North Alabama regions of Athens, Huntsville, Decatur, New Market, and the surrounding areas. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.