Overheated Electrical Wires
The majority of people think of electrical shocks as the foremost danger from electricity. However, home fires are far more common than shock. Damaged wiring, outdated wiring and electrical devices, loose connections and faulty appliances can all lead to electrical fires. The modern home has far more electrical devices than ever before. Without periodic upgrades, especially in older homes, overheated wiring due to an overloaded circuit can lead to a fire. Older home’s electrical systems simply were not designed to handle today’s numerous appliances and electrical devices. While the circuit breaker is designed to prevent overloads and the consequences, breakers can fail, and the result can be a house fire. Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL to schedule the electrical services you require.
There are three common causes of electrical wire overheating that can lead to electrical fires. These include excessive current being used, loose or improper connections, and the breakdown of wiring insulation. The consistent use of extension cords due to a lack of adequate outlets is a warning sign that your home is in need of an electrical upgrade. Extension cords are for temporary use only, and when they feel hot to touch, purchase a thicker extension cord with a heavier grade wire. Use them as little as possible, and consider contacting Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for the installation of new circuits and outlets.
A Tripping Breaker
Placing multiple high-load devices on a single circuit can result in a tripped breaker. When a breaker continues to trip every time you operate multiple devices, relocate one or more of the devices to a different circuit. The alternative is to contact our electricians in Huntsville, AL for a new circuit installation. Kitchens especially seem to never have adequate outlets, and our electricians can remedy the problem for you. The circuit breaker provides the protective mechanism to prevent overloading a circuit, and repeated tripping means either the circuit is being overloaded or there is a problem requiring an electrician.
However, the repeated tripping of a breaker can also be a potential sign of a bad breaker. Only a licensed electrician should provide circuit breaker installation, or work on the electrical panel. The breaker panel contains high voltage, and is far too dangerous and important in your home’s electrical system for DIY work.
Poor connections are a frequent cause of overheating. Loose connections can result in arcing, resulting in the buildup of oxide and melting of the insulation. Once the insulation breaks down, the hot wire touch strands of the neutral or ground wire. The resulting sparks can ignite nearby combustible such as your home’s wood framework or insulation.
Recessed Lighting Hazard
Recessed lighting is a popular upgrade and with good reason. They provide an attractive addition that creates a more open and spacious feel to a space, are available as adjustable fixtures and can be dimmed. Unfortunately, recessed lighting is often treated by homeowners as a DIY project. In many situations, this results in an increased risk of fire. Installing light fixtures under insulation can cause overheating and a house fire. Using a licensed electrician ensures your safety.
The same can occur with the wiring in your home when you overload a circuit. Signs of overheating include switches and outlets that are warm to the touch, scorched or melted switches and outlet covers are also a red flag. If you notice these signs contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for prompt service.
Defective Wiring Practice
Always use licensed electricians in Huntsville, AL for electrical services. Some examples of faulty wiring practices that can cause a fire include:
- Loose connections
- Aluminum and copper wiring spliced together with an incorrect connector. Aluminum oxide causes overheating and a high potential for fire.
- Stapling through wire into the homes wood structure
- A lack of GFCI outlets with water using electrical devices
Moving electrical devices is one solution previously mentioned. An additional tip that may assist you in reducing the electrical load is to switch to LED lighting, which draws far less electricity. Whether this tip can help you will depend on the problem circuit, and what it serves. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can assist you with your electrical problems.
Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL will provide the quality electrical services you require and can rely on. Serving the North Alabama regions with solutions and electrical services, you can rely on us for quality, dependability and professionalism. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.