It is common knowledge that the heating and air conditioning system is the top consumer of energy in the home, with the hot water heater just behind it. However, other appliances also take a place in the descending line of top energy users. In the following, our electricians in Huntsville, AL offer tips to maintain the highest possible energy efficiency of these appliances.
The kitchen contains the highest number of appliances in the average U.S. home. With the proper care you can maintain a lower energy consumption of these appliances.
- The refrigerator and freezer are estimated to consume approximately 4% of the annual energy costs in your home. The actual cost depends on the size of the appliance, whether or not it is energy star, and the care you take with its use. On average the appliance will cost approximately $100 a year to operate.
Maintaining a clean appliance inside, behind and/or underneath can reduce the amount of energy used, and reduce the need for appliance repair. The coils are unable to function properly when coated with lint and soil. In fact, heavily soiled coils can cause the appliance to fail. Use caution when cleaning the coils to avoid damage and the need for repair. In addition, the refrigerator and freezer require room for air to circulate, so avoid overfilling it to save energy and maintain the set temperature.
The kitchen is also where an overloaded circuit is likely to occur, due to the number of small appliances. If you are experiencing frequently tripped breakers, give our electricians in Huntsville, AL a call to schedule the installation of additional circuits and outlets.
- In most situations, a gas range will be more energy efficient than an electric one. In addition, self-cleaning ovens will be better insulated providing a higher energy efficiency. However, using the self-cleaning feature excessively will waste excessive energy. Instead, use a lid or aluminum foil on bake ware to prevent spills, when possible. Remember also, you are unable to use foil in the bottom of a self-cleaning oven due to the high temperatures and the risk of fire. If you are changing from a gas range to an electric range, our electricians in Huntsville, AL can install the circuit and outlet you require.
- The average dishwasher consumes about 2% of the energy used in the home. Waiting until you have a full load uses the same amount of electricity as a partial load, and will save energy by waiting until a full load is ready. If you are installing a first time dishwasher, our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical services you require.
Small steps in the kitchen can reduce the energy consumed by appliances in your home.
The Laundry Room
While the washer and dryer are typically the only appliances in the laundry room, they can be a cause of elevated energy bills. Changes that will reduce your costs of energy for these two appliances include:
- Recent studies indicate cold water washing cleans as well as warm or hot. While not everyone will agree, you can easily wash less soiled clothing in cold water. Washing when you have a full load will also conserve water and energy.
- Dryers are available with moisture sensors. These detect when clothes are dry, and shut off the dryer and prevent wasted energy. Leave room in the dryer for the hot air to circulate freely among the clothing. An overstuffed dryer will require more electricity to dry clothing.
The Living Room
The average family spends a lot of time in the family room. There can be appliances in in this area that will consume more energy than you realize:
- While lighting is throughout the home, you can save energy by turning lights off when not in use, and switching to CFL or LED lighting. Lighting accounts for approximately 12% of the electric bill. LED bulbs provide the best energy efficiency and a significantly longer life span. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can also provide motion sensors for your lighting. The sensors will turn the lights on when someone enters the room, and off when the room is unoccupied for a specified amount of time.
- The television may use more electricity than you realize, depending on the type and size. Frequent use will also affect the power bill. Using a power strip and unplugging them when not in use will prevent phantom energy loss. It may not seem to be a great deal of energy, but over a year’s time it adds up.
Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can assist you in increasing your home’s energy efficiency. Our licensed electricians serve the North Alabama region with quality residential and commercial electrical services. In addition, our electricians in Huntsville, AL offer emergency electrical services 24/7 for your convenience. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.