Home Security Tips
While the risk of becoming a victim of a crime is disconcerting, one crime you can reduce the odds of falling victim to is burglary or home invasion. The following tips can reduce the odds of becoming a victim in your own home. Mister Sparky is an electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL offering electrical installation, inspection and repair.
Effectively layering security is more effective than a burglar alarm alone. This is especially important for homes that are vulnerable, whether due to isolation, screened privacy or the characteristics of the property itself. However, owning a home in a subdivision doesn’t exempt you from becoming a victim either. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can assist you in increasing your home’s security.
Experienced criminals will monitor for police patrols, yours and your neighbors routine, and may call to help establish when occupants are home. This is why hangup calls should always be noted, especially if the number can be viewed.
Lighting is one layer of protection, both against criminal activity and injury of your guests. Indoor lights on a timer can create the appearance of an occupied home. When setting lights on a timer, follow your normal schedule. For example, if you’re in the living room with the lights on from 7 pm until 10 pm, the time should be set for these hours. Outdoor lighting should also operate as usual, and unless you have automatic lighting may require a timer. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the lighting installation you need.
Motion sensor lighting should be placed near doors, pathways and in areas where thieves could hide. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the timer installation you require.
The following additional tips can also assist in deterring thieves when you’re away from home for a few days or more:
- Ask a neighbor to park in your drive while you’re away if the drive will be empty.
- If possible, alert the police you will be away, and ask them to drive by your home more often.
- Forward calls to a cell phone, or to a relative’s home.
- Have mail, newspapers and other deliveries held until you return. If you’re expecting a package delivery while you’re away, ask a neighbor or friend to retrieve it. If you will be away for more than a week or two, arrange to have the grass cut. Unkempt yards are a red flag for thieves, alerting them the homeowner’s are away.
- Don’t post your vacation plans, or photos of your vacation on social media. The media will display the location you posted from and a smart criminal could monitor your activities through the site. It’s best to restrict who can view your posts.
- Ensure your home has quality locks, especially deadbolts. Furthermore, installing deadbolts may provide a discount on your homeowner’s insurance. Also check your window latches and replace any faulty ones. In addition, latches are harder to force open when they are installed with 2 inch screws. Use a bar in the track of sliding doors. A locking pin is available which holds the sliding portion stationary. This prevents criminals from using a crow bar and lifting the sliding door off its tracks. However, the pin will require drilling into both sections of the door, and poses the risk of striking the glass.
- Security cameras are an excellent way to view your property. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation for you.
- Inspect your outdoor areas for potential hiding places. Trim shrubs away from the home by at least 2 feet.
- A quality alarm system can provide up to a 20% discount on your homeowners insurance, while deterring thieves and home invaders. Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the electrical connections for you. Magnetic alarms are a low cost alternative for vulnerable doors and windows and are fairly effective in deterring thieves. However, they won’t call the authorities and can only alert you to an unlawful entry.
- Experienced burglars know every trick in the book, and will find a key if you leave one outside. If you have no choice, such as leaving a key for a housekeeper, obtain a secure lock box affixed to your home with a code for the housekeeper to use. You can also leave a key with a neighbor, or relative when necessary.
- Install a peep hole and/or intercom system for your main entry. Never open the door for strangers. If they claim they need to make a call, offer to make it for them. The electricians from Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation for you.
- If you’re going to be away for some time, ask a friend or relative to house sit. When burglars see an occupant is coming and going they are less likely to target your home.
- Don’t hesitate to call the police when a suspicious vehicle routinely prowls in your neighborhood. This and hang up calls are a common tactic for burglars.
Mister Sparky electrical repair company in Huntsville, AL offers licensed electricians for the electrical services you require. Our electricians can install the additional lighting, intercoms, cameras timers or provide other electrical services you need to improve your home’s security. Call to schedule electrical service today, Mister Sparky serves the North Alabama region, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.