Power surges can trigger a circuit breaker and shut off electricity to the involved circuit. The causes of a surge vary, and most people don’t realize they can cause damage to equipment around your home, and even the electrical wiring. Most households experience power surges, but are you aware you can protect your home from electrical damage? If you’re interested in surge protection or need electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL, contact Mister Sparky today.
Power surges occur when there’s an interruption to the flow of electricity through the power grid, or when an appliance malfunctions. Some electrical appliances and devices can cause a power surge when they cut on, and lead to damage to the device or other electrical devices in the home over time. Surge protection can help to prevent this damage.
Most power surges result in a spike in electrical current lasting less than a thousandth of a second. The size of the voltage determines the amount of potential damage, and can vary from a minute amount to thousands of volts. Unfortunately, even small amounts can cause damage over time, especially in sensitive electronics.
The Common Causes
The causes of power surges can be caused by a number of elements:
- Electrical devices can cause power surges when they turn on. This can affect other electrical devices around the home. Examples of common devices with the ability to cause a surge include refrigerators, air conditioners and space heaters.
- Circuit breakers protect your home’s electrical system by tripping when the voltage exceeds the circuit’s ability to handle. However, when a circuit breaker is damaged they can become fire risks themselves. Contact our skilled, licensed electricians to schedule electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL.
- Damaged wiring and loose connections can cause power surges. Faulty wiring will require electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL by a licensed electrician.
- Tree limbs touching power lines can cause power surges.
- Animals can touch electrical transformers and cause a power surge, typically electrocuting themselves in the process.
- When the power has been off, the restoration of power can cause power surges as electricity returns to your home. If you experience an outage, turning off appliances and electronics and unplugging them can prevent damage.
- Lightning strikes can be miles away, and follow the power lines to your home. Ensure your home is grounded, which assists in diverting lightning away. If your home lacks grounding, contact Mister Sparky to schedule electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL.
Power surges can cause damage to your electrical appliances, including the heating and air conditioning system. Depending on the amount and frequency, surges can destroy appliances in one strike, or cause damage that accumulates over time. Furthermore, when large power surges occur, damage may occur to a home’s electrical wiring, its connection and devices attached to it. Fire is also a potential threat with surges. Damaged wiring will require replacement to prevent the hazard of shock and fire. Contact Mister Sparky to schedule electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL.
Protecting Your Home From Power Surges
Numerous home’s already contain surge protection strips. While these are one component of a surge protection network, they are not enough by themselves.
A surge protection network offers the best protection available. The network goes beyond the point-of-source strips by providing protection for the entire home’s electrical system and everything connected to it.
Surges can cause costly damage, and a surge protection network can provide protection for your home. Both Type one and two surge protection devices require installation by a qualified, licensed electrician. The network is comprised of three levels, including:
Type One Surge Protection
Type one surge protection is the first line of defense against surges entering your home from a power line. Installed in the power meter by a licensed electrician, the device is capable of discharging the voltage from both lightning and the surges that commonly occur on power lines. They are typically used in commercial, industrial and hospital buildings in conjunction with a lightning protection system, and are just as effective for your home. Contact Mister Sparky electricians for a professional installation, and electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL when you need it.
Type Two Surge Protection
Type two surge protection devices are installed in the home’s electrical panel. The device intercepts residual voltage from lightning and surges that were not fully discharged with a type one device. Furthermore, type two devices also protects against internal surges – those that originate inside your home, such as when the air conditioner cuts in. A Type two surge protector will help to ensure your home’s appliances and electronics will last longer.
Type Three Devices
Type three devices are the surge protection strips already serving to help protect many home’s televisions and computers. They provide point-of-use protection against residual voltage after going through type one and two devices. Type three devices vary widely in their ability. Purchase the best possible device you can for the highest protection.
Surge Stations (UPS)
The uninterrupted power supply, (UPS) is typically used in offices to manage voltage fluctuations, and spikes. It also provides a battery backup, allowing you to properly shutdown a computer, preventing data loss. Mister Sparky can provide the electrical installation you require, and/or electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL.
Choose surge protection with a minimal 40,000-amp surge protection, thermal fuses, and the ability to notify you when the device has been hit with high voltage. Furthermore, only purchase a device with UL rating for a tested product. Mister Sparky electricians can take care of all the details. Contact Mister Sparky today for additional information or to schedule an installation or electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL.
Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL serves the North Alabama region. In addition, we offer emergency electrical services 24/7 for your convenience. Don’t risk your safety when an electrical emergency occurs, we will be glad to provide the electrical repair service in Huntsville, AL you need. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.