Replacing an electrical service panel requires the expertise and training of a licensed electrician. It is not a job for the average homeowner, unless he/she is a licensed electrician. Improper installation can result in the risk of fire or electrocution. In addition, most states and city building code require the installation be provided by a state licensed, bonded, and insured electrician. Mister Sparky electricians offer the industry expertise you can rely on for a quality installation. Contact our Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL today to schedule the electrical services you require.
When to Replace the Electrical Service Panel
The electrical panel is the heart of your home’s electrical system. It is through the panel that your homes various circuits provides electricity. The panel is also responsible for safety, by shutting off circuits in order to prevent damage when they are overloaded or a problem occurs.
A common question among homeowner’s is when they should replace the electrical panel. The following are general guidelines:
- The existing panel using fuses and not breakers is outdated and lacks the safety of a modern breaker box. Our electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide a trouble free installation for you.
- If you have run out of space in the existing panel for new breakers, and require additional breakers for a remodel, addition or upgrades, it may be time to replace it. However, a sub-panel is a option. A sub panel feeds off the main electrical panel, acting as an extension and providing additional space for your renovations and additions. Contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for additional information.
- Modern homes typically use a 200 amp box, while older homes may be using a 60 amp box. Considering the electrical load in modern homes today, replacement is the safest action to avoid overloading the box, and the potential for a fire in your home.
Loose connections are another potential problem in older panels, and can result in a breaker not tripping when it should. Homes with an electrical system 40 years old or older should receive a professional inspection by an electrician, and any needed repairs or upgrades. Never replace a circuit breaker that trips repeatedly with a higher amperage breaker. This is extremely dangerous, and can easily lead to a fire when the circuit is overloaded. Don’t take the risk, contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for prompt repair and upgrades if required.
- When the existing electrical panel has been recalled, as with Federal Pacific electrical boxes, replace it.
- There can be several reasons behind it when circuit breakers trip frequently. A circuit breaker trips as it’s designed to do in order to prevent a fire. However, if it continues to trip when you plug in or turn on an appliance, it can point to a serious problem such as an overloaded breaker, a malfunctioning appliance, a faulty outlet, or a loose connection. Contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for a diagnosis and repair.
- A rusted out panel, and/or one with visible damage should be replaced immediately before a fire or shock can occur. In addition, how the moisture that rusts the panel reaches it should be investigated. Water and electricity are a lethal mix. Contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for a reliable upgrade, and peace of mind.
When Repair is Recommended
- The electrical service cables that run from the power pole to the mount on your home is the responsibility of the power company. The cables that run from the mount to the electrical panel are the homeowner’s responsibility. Faulty service cables are a hazard and require immediate repair by a professional electrician. Contact Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for prompt service.
- Faulty breakers can be replaced, contact the electricians with Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL for prompt service.
Emergency Services 24/7
When you need emergency electrical service, call Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL. Our electricians can respond to your electrical needs right away, and provide the quality services you can trust.
Remember, the installation of an electrical service panel should only be provided by a qualified, licensed electrician. You can rely on the licensed electricians from Mister Sparky electric repair company in Huntsville, AL to arrive on time, and to provide the professional expertise you can rely on. You also receive the benefits of our 100% satisfaction guarantee. Mister Sparky serves the North Alabama region, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.