Every year, home fires claim lives. According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), three out of five deaths related to house fires had no smoke alarm (38%) or no functioning smoke alarm (21%). Furthermore, according to the NFPA, you are more than twice as likely to die in a home without smoke alarms. Smoke alarms save lives, and no home should be without functioning alarms. If you require smoke alarm installation, contact Mister Sparky to schedule home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
Mistakes with smoke alarms that cost lives:
- Battery replacement should be provided every 6 months, and no less than once per year. In addition, use a quality brand of batteries for the highest reliability. If the contact points are corroded, replace the entire smoke alarm.
- Test each smoke alarm monthly. Replace the batteries of it fails the test, and test again. Remember, your family’s lives depend on a functional smoke alarm.
- Installing a variety of smoke detectors provides a higher degree of safety. There are two types of smoke detectors, and each detects a different type of fire. Photoelectric detectors detect smoldering flames. Ionization alarms demonstrate a higher response to flaming fires. Installing both types or using dual sensor smoke alarms, provides your family with the highest available protection. A Mister Sparky electrician can provide the home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL that you require.
- Replace expired smoke alarms. An expiration date is displayed with each smoke detector, typically located next to the battery or on the back of the device. If your smoke alarm lacks a date, replace it immediately. The U.S. Fire Administration recommends replacement of smoke detectors every 8-10 years. Over time, age and dust will affect its ability to keep you safe, and replacement is necessary to ensure your safety. If you require a replacement or new installation, we can take care of all the details of the service for installation and other home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
- Proper location. Cooking related fires are responsible for 40% of all house fires. A smoke detector in the kitchen may be annoying at times, but it is an essential for your family’s safety.
However, it is advisable to avoid placing them near HVAC registers or fans where smoke could be blown away from the detectors. Locate them high on the wall, about 4 inches below the ceiling due to smokes tendency to rise. When placing them on the ceiling, locate them in the center of the room if possible. Mister Sparky offers reliable installation services, and home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
- Heating is a common cause of fire, typically due to a lack of furnace maintenance. Maintenance will not only help to assure your safety, but will save you money on the cost of energy.
- Electrical issues do cause house fires. While faulty wiring is a potential cause, overuse of extension cords and portable electrical heaters is a common cause. Electric heaters draw a lot of electricity, and threaten to overwhelm electrical circuits not designed for the load. If your electric heater routinely trips a breaker, contact Mister Sparky for electrical wiring repair service in Huntsville, AL. Our electricians can provide you with the upgrade you require to safely use the heater in your home.
The U.S. Fire Administration recommends the location of smoke and fire alarms both inside and outside of sleeping areas. In addition, the alarms should be located on all levels of your home. Always use a licensed electrician for the installation of hardwired smoke alarms, and other home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
Testing Smoke Detectors
Smoke detectors and fire alarms alert your family to fire and dangerous smoke while there is still time to evacuate,. However, they require monthly testing to ensure they function properly in the event of a fire. Ensuring the batteries will work, and that age, time and corrosion haven’t rendered the device inoperable are the reason you should test routinely, and batteries replace biannually. Change your batteries when you change your clock twice a year is a convenient way to remember it.
Smoke alarms are either battery operated, or electrically hardwired. Hardwired smoke detectors provide the highest reliability, and are available with a battery backup. The batteries should also be replaced biannually in hardwired smoke detectors with battery backup. Hardwired detectors should also be tested monthly in order to ensure the highest safety available for your family. It is recommended to use not only dual sensor smoke alarms, but also to use an integrated alarm system, where if one smoke detector or fire alarm goes off, all the others go off with it. In this way, the entire household is aware of a fire before it reaches all areas. Remember, only use a licensed electrician for the installation of hardwired smoke detectors. Contact Mister Sparky to schedule home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL.
If you require the installation of hardwired smoke alarms, or other professional home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL, contact Mister Sparky. Our licensed electricians provide the expertise you need to ensure professional electrical installations, home electrical repair in Huntsville, AL, and reliable electrical inspection services. We serve the North Alabama region and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.