With the heating season just a few months away, it’s a good time to review information about your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. These devices are essential safety devices that should be in every home. The statistics prove they save lives, yet not all homes have them. Most fire related deaths occurs in homes where smoke detectors were not present, or they didn’t function. Replacing the battery every 6 months is a task often overlooked, and if you tend to forget it, smoke detectors that are wired into the home’s electrical system can be installed by Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL.
Smoke detectors are an essential in every home, providing protection against fire that is proven to save lives. Furthermore, specific types can be integrated, setting off all alarms when one detects fire and/or smoke, depending on the type. This ensures the entire household is alerted when a fire occurs. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide you with additional information and installation.
The Non Functional Smoke Detector
While smoke detectors can fail, especially after their expiration date – the common cause of the device’s failure is a dead battery, or the removal of the battery. A chirping noise is one of the reasons some homeowner’s will remove the battery, and lose their protection. The chirping is the smoke detector warning you the battery is low. If replacing the battery doesn’t solve the problem, replace the smoke alarm.
As for the expiration date, one should be displayed on the device. If not, replace them every ten years. Keep in mind, you can have Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL to provide the electrical services needed for installing detectors that are wired directly into the home’s electrical system. In addition, electric smoke detectors have proven to be more reliable than battery operated, and they are available with a battery backup for power outages. Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for installation.
Common causes of house fires include:
- Cooking is a top cause of fire. This is often due to forgetting food is cooking. The malfunction of appliances is a secondary cause. Never use an appliance with a damaged, frayed or worn cord or plug.
- Faulty wiring is a cause of house fires. Over time the wire in the electrical system can degrade due to power surges, age and cracked insulation, or even poorly installed wiring. Loose connections, and overloaded outlets and circuits can also damage wiring. Contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for reliable electrical services.
- Smoking in bed is a common cause of house fires.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
When fossil fuels, such as natural or propane gas, and wood burning stoves burn fuel, carbon monoxide is produced as a by product of the combustion. The gas is potentially deadly and lacks any odor, taste, or color. If you use any fossil fuel in your home for any appliance you should have carbon monoxide detectors installed. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide a professional installation for you.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is deadly due to its process of depriving the body of life giving oxygen. The carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen carried on the red blood cells. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are numerous, you may experience one or more, including:
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain
- Headache is common, and if due to the gas is likely to disappear when you leave the home
- The loss of conscious
- Difficulty breathing
Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in severe and permanent brain damage, or even death. Don’t risk it, contact Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL for professional carbon monoxide detector installation.
Locating your carbon monoxide detectors in the areas where they will be most effective is essential. An important area for locating the detectors is near the bedrooms. This is because sleeping persons won’t wake up when a leak occurs. Remember, carbon monoxide doesn’t have an odor or taste. You can succumb without knowing a leak has occurred without detectors to warn you and your household. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide a professional installation for you.
In addition, it is also recommended to place one or more detectors in the basement when a gas furnace or gas water heater is located there. Although these appliances have ventilation pipes, malfunctions can occur, and vent pipes can become blocked ,resulting in the accumulation of carbon monoxide in your home.
You should also consider that gas stoves don’t have ventilation pipes. The hood exhaust fan is the only means of removing carbon monoxide when the stove is in use. An additional source of carbon monoxide is the enclosed garage. Always open the garage door before starting the vehicle, allowing carbon monoxide to escape. The gas can enter the home through cracks and gaps endangering your family. This is especially true of rooms located over a garage.
Types of Detectors
Don’t risk your family’s safety, install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If you use battery operated models, change the batteries every 6 months with a quality brand, and test them each month. Models are available that are wired directly into the electrical system. Our electricians can provide the installation or replacement of models wired into your home’s electrical system. Mister Sparky electricians in Huntsville, AL can provide the installation of direct wired models for you. We serve the North Alabama region with quality service and the Mister Sparky 100% satisfaction guarantee. Mister Sparky is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.