When was the last time you had your home’s safety inspection done? Did you know that the months during the summer account for over seventy five percent of the work done due to repairing fire damage from faulty air conditioners and old electrical appliances, wiring and more? Consider, hiring Mister Sparky for your home’s safety inspection, once scheduled our professional electricians in Huntsville, AL will come to your home or business and inspect your premises to see if your electrical system is up to par.
When it comes to electrical fires, they happen mainly due to old or inefficient electrical wiring in the home, air conditioner failures or even appliance failures. Many electrical fires happen whenever a homeowner overloads the electrical outlets or extension cords in the home. If you find yourself needing to use extension cords all the time, then you should consider seek out professional electricians in Huntsville, AL to upgrade your home’s electrical system to accommodate all of your electronics and appliances.
In order to prevent yourself or someone you love from becoming another statistic from electrical fires, it is critical that you are aware of the common causes of electrical fires. Below are the 5 most common causes
1. Most electrical fires are due to faulty electrical outlets and antiquated appliances or old AC systems. Other fires are started by faults in cords from electronics or appliances, receptacles and even switches. You should never use an appliance that has a worn out or frayed power cord. This can cause arcs that can combust surfaces like the floor, curtains, or rugs.
Another cause of electrical fires is due to extension cords being run under rugs. Removing the grounding plug from a cord so that it can be used in a two-prong electrical outlet can also be the source of electrical fires. If your receptacles do not accommodate grounded plugs, you should seek out professional electricians in Huntsville, AL to upgrade your receptacles today.
2. Light fixtures, lamps and even light bulbs are also another common reason for electrical fires. Bulbs with higher wattage than the lamp or light fixture can accommodate are one of the leading causes for electrical fires. Always inspect the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never purchase and install bulbs that go over the recommended amount.
Another reason for electrical fires that involve lighting fixtures, deals with placing materials such as cloth or paper over a lampshade. These materials will heat up and can possibly ignite, causing a fire. Faulty lamps and light fixtures are also frequently the rest in many home fires nationwide.
3. Mishandling of extension cords is yet another common cause for electrical fires in homes nationwide. Appliances should be plugged directly into outlets and should never be plugged into an extension cord for any length of time. Extension cords purposes are temporarily solutions for electrical needs for a limited amount of time. If you do not have the appropriate type or amount of outlets for your appliances, you should hire electricians in Huntsville, AL to come to your home and install new outlets to accommodate all of your appliances and electronics as needed.
4. During the winter, space heaters are a major cause for electrical fires nationwide. Space heaters are portable and because of this many times homeowners end up putting them to close to objects or surfaces that are combustible, such as, curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches, rugs, and even the floors they rest on. Space heaters should be placed on special pads built specifically for space heaters to rest on in order to prevent them from possibly heating up the floor and catching fire.
Coil space heaters are exceptionally dangerous due to the fact that the coils become so hot that they will almost instantaneously ignite any nearby flammable object. If you do own and use space heaters, use the radiator-type that diffuse heat over the entire surface of the appliance. These types of space heaters are less likely to possibly ignite flammable objects, but for safety you should always keep space heaters well away from any object that could possibly be flammable.
5. The number one cause for electrical fires in homes nationwide is due to outdate and antiquated electrical wiring. If a home is more than thirty years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of energy required in most modern homes today. There are much more electronics in the average home today than there were 30 years ago.
About Mister Sparky in Huntsville, Alabama
Mister Sparky was founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1996. The original location in Atlanta, Georgia is now one of the leading residential electrical service and repair companies in the entire Eastern United States and is also one of the biggest nationwide. Mister Sparky has a superior record for delivering fast, on-time service, accurate upfront pricing with an overall professional and pleasant experience for customers who are looking for electricians in Huntsville, AL.
At Mister Sparky we differentiate ourselves from our competition by our unique message: Mister Sparky – “America’s On-Time Electrician.” Out mottos is, We’re On Time, You’ll See, Or The Repair is Free. And we mean it. In fact, Mister Sparky is the “On-Time” contractors in the electrical field and we are leading the pact with superior service nationwide. Mister Sparky has over 86 locations nationwide and we are growing tremendously each and every year. With honest and professional service that simply gets the job done; time after time again you count on Mister Sparky providing you with professional and prompt electricians in Huntsville, AL.
No matter what type of electrical problems you are having if you need electricians in Huntsville, AL, you can rely on Mister Sparky to deliver professional and prompt service. All of our electricians are well-trained, vetted and can resolve any electrical issue in a prompt, professional and accurate manner. If you need electricians in Huntsville, AL, you can rest assure knowing that you are in good hands with Mister Sparky. For your convenience we are available three hundred and sixty five days a year and twenty four hours a day for emergency services. When you use Mister Sparky for your next electrical problem, installation or maintenance needs, you cannot go wrong.