Electrician in Huntsville – Annually, around 2,400 children under the ages of 10 years old end up receiving medical treatment in hospitals due to shock and burns associated with electrical outlets. Most of these injuries happen when small children use common household objects such as paper clips and other small objects and insert them into the outlets with dangerous consequences. Fortunately, there are solutions and a local electrician in Huntsville can set you up if with these reliable solutions for your home.
Enter childproof outlets. These outlets are tamper resistant receptacles or TRRs for short. Mister Sparky can send a licensed and professional electrician in Huntsville to your home and provide you with professional installation of childproof tamper proof receptacles. While supervising your small children is and will always be the most effective means in preventing injuries, not everyone is able to keep an eye on their children 100% of the time. It only takes a few seconds for a small child to find a way to injure themselves in a home and this is why parents should childproof their home as much as possible.
Electrical outlets and receptacles are a constant threat of danger in almost every room of the home where young children will be present. Tamper resistant receptacles (TRR) provide a safer, affordable, and permanent solution to help prevent the possibility of shock and electrical burn injuries brought upon by curious children tampering with electrical outlets. Contact Mister Sparky today to schedule an appointment and our electrician in Huntsville will come to your home and upgrade it with tamper resistant receptacles.
How They Work
Whenever a plug is inserted with equal pressure applied to both sides at the same time, the receptacle cover plates will open, allowing a standard plug to be inserted into the receptacle. However, without the application of simultaneous pressure, the cover plates will remain closed, preventing small objects from being inserted into the receptacle.
The National Electrical Code (NEC) began requiring the installation of TRRs in all new home builds in 2011. In pediatric care facilities, tamper resistant receptacles have been required for over 20 years already. They are installed much the same way as regular receptacles are. To ensure they are installed correctly you should always allow an electrician in Huntsville to install them for you.
Additional tips for electrical safety in homes with young children include:
- Replace appliances, large or small, extension cords and other electrical equipment with old, frayed, or damaged cords.
- Bind excess cord on lamps or other electrical equipment with a zip tie to prevent injury and dangerous chewing on cords. You can purchase sleeves, holders and other devices that store excess cords, hiding them, and in some cases enabling them to be secured to walls out of the way, helping to prevent young children from pulling equipment and lamps down on them.
- Place television and stereo equipment against the wall so young children are unable to access the area behind the appliance or cords. When this isn’t possible Mister Sparky’s <strong>electricians in Huntsville, AL</strong> can organize and contain the jungle of wires typically surrounding TVs and their connecting components into sleeves fastened to a wall, keeping cords away from curious hands and mouths, as well providing the area behind it neatly organized.
- Carefully inspect all holiday lighting for exposed or broken wiring or bulbs. Bind excess cord and unplug when not in use.
- Routinely inspect electronic toys for wear, malfunctions and ensure all screws are tight that prevent little hands from accessing the batteries.
- Select sleepwear that is labeled flame retardant.
- Place a screen around fireplaces, radiators, electric baseboard heaters and wood-burning stoves.
- Never leave an unconnected appliance cord plugged in, such as a camera or cell phone charger. Small children may put the end of the cord in their mouths.
- Keep drinks away from TVs, DVD players, stereos, computers, game consoles, heaters and anything else electrical.
- Limit the number of appliances plugged into a receptacle. An overloaded circuit is a fire hazard. If your home requires additional outlets give our <strong>electricians in Huntsville, AL</strong> a call to schedule installation of additional outlets.
- Don’t leave lamp sockets empty, replace the bulb, or leave the burned out bulb in the socket until you do.
- All electrical outlets that are near a water source such as a sink, should be a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet. GFCIs have a built-in circuit breaker, when a problem occurs the fuse is tripped and electricity is essentially shut off to the receptacle.
- Don’t use a nightlight within reach of your child. Nightlights located in a small child’s room can pose a temptation that can result in shock, and a potential fire if located near the bed or curtains.
About Mister Sparky in Huntsville, Alabama
Mister Sparky was founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1996. The original location in Atlanta, Georgia is now one of the leading residential electrical service and repair companies in the entire Eastern United States and is also one of the biggest nationwide. Mister Sparky has a superior record for delivering fast, on-time service, accurate upfront pricing with an overall professional and pleasant experience for customers who are looking for an electrician in Huntsville.
At Mister Sparky we differentiate ourselves from our competition by our unique message: Mister Sparky – “America’s On-Time Electrician.” Out mottos is, We’re On Time, You’ll See, Or The Repair is Free. And we mean it. In fact, Mister Sparky is the “On-Time” contractors in the electrical field and we are leading the pact with superior service nationwide. Mister Sparky has over 86 locations nationwide and we are growing tremendously each and every year. With honest and professional service that simply gets the job done; time after time again you count on Mister Sparky providing you with a professional electrician in Huntsville.
No matter what type of electrical problems you are having if you need an electrician in Huntsville, you can rely on Mister Sparky to deliver professional and prompt service. All of our electricians are well-trained, vetted and can resolve any electrical issue in a prompt, professional and accurate manner. If you need an electrician in Huntsville, you can rest assure knowing that you are in good hands with Mister Sparky. For your convenience we are available three hundred and sixty five days a year and twenty four hours a day for emergency services. When you use Mister Sparky for your next electrical problem, installation or maintenance needs, you cannot go wrong.