Electricians in Huntsville, AL – During the winter we all understandably use more electricity due to the fact that the days are shorter and the temperatures get lower, sometimes even below freezing. The need to keep the indoors warm translates to an increase in the usage of electricity, which in turn increases the risks that are associated with electricity.
In this article we will go over these risks that are related to electricity during the winter. Homeowners should be extra careful because among other things, the winter weather can cause problems such as power outages, fluctuations and other electrical issues that happen following events such as heavy snow, rain and strong winds. These events can cause all manner of problems in homes and other places where electricity is being used, requiring the need for professional electricians in Huntsville, AL to take care of.
Being prepared is the key to making sure that you and your family stays safe from possible electrical hazards during the winter. Below we will go over some basic electrical tips that are helpful for being ready during the winter:
- Have additional power outlets installed by professional and registered electricians in Huntsville, AL. Why? This will help in situations where you may need to say for example use a space heater, but in doing so you may overload your circuits or you may not have any available plugs in the room that needs the extra heating. Space heaters should NEVER be connected using extension cords and by doing so only increases the likelihood of possibly having an electrical fire.
- Try to get into the habit of making sure all of your electrical gadgets, appliances and other electrical equipment is turned off before going to sleep. Not only will this help decrease the electrical bill during the winter when it will surely go up, but it will also help avoid the possibility of electrical fires associated with items short-circuiting due to the fluctuations with power and problems that can be experienced during the winter.
- Routinely inspect the wiring in your home, sockets, plugs, switches and so on. Over time, these items can be damaged, fray, or worn out, whenever this happens they need to be replaced or repaired by professional electricians in Huntsville, AL because the longer they are neglected the worse the problem will become and the higher the chances that they may possibly start an electrical fire.
- Finally, have an electrical safety checklist printed out and place on your fridge or somewhere else in your home for all to see. A checklist will help you ensure that you do not miss or overlook something. Below we will detail out a comprehensive checklist that you can use at home during the winter.
Electrical Safety Checklist for the Winter
- Does your home have the correct electrical panels, plugs, sockets and switches installed?
If yes, then inspect and make sure that no covers are open, cracked or unscrewed. If you are not sure, then get in touch with an electrical repair company like Mister Sparky so that our professional electricians in Huntsville, AL can inspect this for you and install them if necessary.
- Do you know the exact location for your home’s main electrical panel?
Ensure that there are no objects prohibiting easy access to the electrical panel and if so clear the area for easy access. Also ensure that the switches and circuits are functioning correctly and everything is clearly marked so you know what powers what. If you need help then get in touch with professional electricians in Huntsville, AL to assist you with your main electrical panel.
- Make sure that the areas around your electrical wiring, panels, sockets, and switches are safe from the possibility of water leaks.
- Ensure that the overhead power lines outside of your home have sufficient clearance from trees and other structures outside. If not you will need to contact your local utility company or hire an arborist to take care of this for you.
- If your sockets and other power outlets are overloaded or if you lack whole house surge protection then get in touch with Mister Sparky to have your home’s electrical system upgraded alongside whole house surge protection.
- If you go on vacation or long trips during the winter then get into the habit of unplugging all non-essential electronic equipment and appliances in your home while away.
About Mister Sparky in Huntsville, Alabama
Mister Sparky was founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1996. The original location in Atlanta, Georgia is now one of the leading residential electrical service and repair companies in the entire Eastern United States and is also one of the biggest nationwide. Mister Sparky has a superior record for delivering fast, on-time service, accurate upfront pricing with an overall professional and pleasant experience for customers who are looking for electricians in Huntsville, AL.
At Mister Sparky we differentiate ourselves from our competition by our unique message: Mister Sparky – “America’s On-Time Electrician.” Out mottos is, We’re On Time, You’ll See, Or The Repair is Free. And we mean it. In fact, Mister Sparky is the “On-Time” contractors in the electrical field and we are leading the pact with superior service nationwide. Mister Sparky has over 86 locations nationwide and we are growing tremendously each and every year. With honest and professional service that simply gets the job done; time after time again you count on Mister Sparky providing you with professional electricians in Huntsville, AL.
No matter what type of electrical problems you are having if you need electricians in Huntsville, AL, you can rely on Mister Sparky to deliver professional and prompt service. All of our electricians are well-trained, vetted and can resolve any electrical issue in a prompt, professional and accurate manner. If you need electricians in Huntsville, AL, you can rest assure knowing that you are in good hands with Mister Sparky. For your convenience we are available three hundred and sixty five days a year and twenty four hours a day for emergency services. When you use Mister Sparky for your next electrical problem, installation or maintenance needs, you cannot go wrong.